Torch Coral Heads Dying

  • Thread starter Thread starter reeffish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reeffish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2014
Messages
67
Reaction score
37
Location
KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, my torch corals heads are dying one by one. They have been fine for months, now all of a sudden they are dying one by one every day.
 
How old is the tank? Need. Complete parameters including salinity and light par please.
 
3 years old. pH-8.02, alk 11.18, Ca 551, Mg 1227, NO3 8.6, PO4 .07, Fe .05, K 428, I2 .06, Temp 78. 125 gallons w/12 to 15 gallons of water changed weekly. I use Tropic Marine salt. Started about 5 days ago. One head at a time and I've lost 3 colonies so far and now a fourth is starting. All make up water and salt mix is done with RO/DI water.

I've sent a water sample to ICP on Aug 1 - waiting on results for that
 
3 years old. pH-8.02, alk 11.18, Ca 551, Mg 1227, NO3 8.6, PO4 .07, Fe .05, K 428, I2 .06, Temp 78. 125 gallons w/12 to 15 gallons of water changed weekly. I use Tropic Marine salt. Started about 5 days ago. One head at a time and I've lost 3 colonies so far and now a fourth is starting. All make up water and salt mix is done with RO/DI water.

I've sent a water sample to ICP on Aug 1 - waiting on results for that
How long has the coral been in? What par is it in? Mine sit in 250 par. Moderate flow.

Have you dipped for flatworms?
 
Moderate flow, par is at 275, ramps up/down. Been in tank for over a year and doing great until last week. Haven’t changed anything in filtration or lighting.
 
Is it all of them or just one or two colonies?
 
Moderate flow, par is at 275, ramps up/down. Been in tank for over a year and doing great until last week. Haven’t changed anything in filtration or lighting.
I'm experiencing a similar problem on a heavily stocked 4 year tank only with my euphyllia. ICP didn't reveal anything. I would check for rusty magnets but seems more like a bacteria infection. That's what I think mine is to. Check my thread.
 
Help, my torch corals heads are dying one by one. They have been fine for months, now all of a sudden they are dying one by one every day.
My torches have trouble when I have large Alk swings. Your Alk seems high - any changes lately? When my Alk stays consistent, my torches thrive.

IMG_1571.jpeg
 
My torches have trouble when I have large Alk swings. Your Alk seems high - any changes lately? When my Alk stays consistent, my torches thrive.

IMG_1571.jpeg
Alk is consistent it’s one head one each colony until the colony is dead then to another colony starts
 
Alk is consistent it’s one head one each colony until the colony is dead then to another colony starts
That sounds like bjd

Have you tried Cipro?

Also your Alk seems very high. Here’s mine
1754739485233.jpeg
 
BJD will show visible signs. Brown substance in the dying heads and a really foul smell when removed from the water. BJD also kills heads fast like overnight one at a time. Not a slow die off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new