Torch Coral ID Guide

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post this here since I know it was helpful on some Facebook groups!

This is a list of commonly known torch names, descriptions, and colors. While I know it's not complete, there are a lot of ID questions that can be answered with it!

If there are any others that are missing that you think should be added, feel free to let me know! :)

Hawkaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post this here since I know it was helpful on some Facebook groups!

This is a list of commonly known torch names, descriptions, and colors. While I know it's not complete, there are a lot of ID questions that can be answered with it!

If there are any others that are missing that you think should be added, feel free to let me know! :)

Thank you. I’ve been looking for a quick guide to torches.

what lighting and filters to get the colors you specify? Mostly blues I’d guess - no filter or blue blocking orange to get the colors described?

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen cotton candy torches that have blue tips as well as the pink tipped ones. What are the green with yellow tips called? I've also seen orangepeel torches and aquaman torches.

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ve been looking for a quick guide to torches.

what lighting and filters to get the colors you specify? Mostly blues I’d guess - no filter or blue blocking orange to get the colors described?
For these colors it will mostly be blues. Since that is the most common and tends to bring color out better. Whiter lighting tends to make it hard to see these colors.

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen cotton candy torches that have blue tips as well as the pink tipped ones. What are the green with yellow tips called? I've also seen orangepeel torches and aquaman torches.
So the "Cotton Candy" are specifically the Green with Pink Tips.
The Green with Blue Tip may be "Todds Torch" or "Toxic Green" depending on how bright the green is.

The other tends to just go by the colors "Green Torch with Yellow Tips".

I haven't found a well known common name for that one.

The Aquaman I never heard of, but it looks AWESOME! I only see a couple people that seem to have them. I'll have to dig into that one!

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Aquaman was a torch imported and named by me. Haven’t seen anyone else with such a specimen yet.

Green mouth
Blue tentacles with streaks of solid yellow
Yellow tips

Few people have received frags. Hopefully will become more common in next 1-2 years with myself and others growing them out!

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaman was a torch imported and named by me. Haven’t seen anyone else with such a specimen yet.

Green mouth
Blue tentacles with streaks of solid yellow
Yellow tips

Few people have received frags. Hopefully will become more common in next 1-2 years with myself and others growing them out!
Got any photos?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you’ve done there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back