Torch coral identification

LagoonLounge

loving the reef life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

Could somebody please help name this torch I bought it 2 days ago as a unknown name. I already have a dragon soul and indo gold but this one looks different looks like it has a green mouth and slight gold on the tentacles.

The torch on the right is my dragon soul but can't seem to see a green mouth

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

20210216_150112.jpg

Attachments

• 20210216_150208.mp4
    92.2 MB

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia glabrescens

Why does it need some fancy name? It's a torch coral, before all the naming game came into effect in the hobby.

Seriously though, what one vendor might call a dragon soul, hellfire, etc, etc, another vendor might call it something totally different. This name game for corals has really gotten out of hand.

It's gotten so bad, we see threads now(like this one) where people want to know the fancy name, and not what the actual corals name is.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia glabrescens

Why does it need some fancy name? It's a torch coral, before all the naming game came into effect in the hobby.

Seriously though, what one vendor might call a dragon soul, hellfire, etc, etc, another vendor might call it something totally different. This name game for corals has really gotten out of hand.

It's gotten so bad, we see threads now(like this one) where people want to know the fancy name, and not what the actual corals name is.
They probably know its a Euphyllia glabrescens, that is probably why they didnt ask that. Also its good to know what you have rather than sell frags for 40-50 when you can get 200-400 per polyp.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point exactly.....

And doesn't help the hobby one bit, but to spread the stupidly high prices on corals with fancy names. This same coral, before the stupid name game came into effect, was like $50 a head. Now that it has a fancy name, it's easily $200 to $300 a head.

But by all means keep pushing people out of the hobby with stupid names and even stupider high prices. In 10 years no one will be able to afford the hobby except the elite, and will effectively kill the hobby.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point exactly.....

And doesn't help the hobby one bit, but to spread the stupidly high prices on corals with fancy names. This same coral, before the stupid name game came into effect, was like $50 a head. Now that it has a fancy name, it's easily $200 to $300 a head.

But by all means keep pushing people out of the hobby with stupid names and even stupider high prices. In 10 years no one will be able to afford the hobby except the elite, and will effectively kill the hobby.
Well the ones that started these names and culture are to blame. Not the op or myself. Got to get with the times sadly. If you want to buy high end corals and give to other people for 10-20 per polyp i wont complain.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to stop the game, not add to it.

Now is not the time to "get with the times", now is the time we as hobbyists fight back.

Unless you have been in the hobby for more then the last 5 or so years, you wouldn't understand. When indo got shut down, is when the name game came into effect(of course it was years before with SPS).

Do as you wish, but I will never call a torch coral anything other then a torch.

OP:
Its a green mouthed, purple tentacled with green tips torch coral. Simple as that.

FWIW:
It's this name game that has lent it's hand to fly by night chop shops trying to make a quick buck. It's people like you that feed into their business model, and keep their pockets lined.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like me?

#1 i dont own high end torchs so how do you work that out?

#2 go and ***** at some zoa threads... you will have a field day

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like you might have been harsh, I apologize.

What I meant by that comment is people who keep calling them by their fancy names, and will only refer to them by that name instead of their actual names.
Apology accepted. Thank you. I do understand what you are trying to say though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back