Torch Coral Pest ID

FishRFriends!=Food

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
34
Location
Southern Rhode Island
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I added a Torch to my tank about 4 weeks ago. It was doing great and seemed to be adapting fine to my tank. Lately Ive noticed a couple things of concern, could someone please try to identify and let me know if anything should be done?

First there is this hair like strand coming off the right side of the skeleton. I cut this growth back originally when the torch was added but its grown back.

There is some sort of white almost powder towards the bottom of the right head.

Finally there seems to be some sort of fuzz growing under the left side skeleton.

Are any of this a major concern? Coral was dipped when it was added to tank.

Thanks

20230916_112843.jpg 20230916_112829.jpg 20230914_164220.jpg
 
Looks to me like it may be a vermetid snail on the skeleton. They will send out sweepers that can sting.

The white stuff at the bottom of the torch flesh is called mesenterial filaments. Corals will send these out to fight nearby corals or in this case a pest probably stinging it.
 
Looks to me like it may be a vermetid snail on the skeleton. They will send out sweepers that can sting.

The white stuff at the bottom of the torch flesh is called mesenterial filaments. Corals will send these out to fight nearby corals or in this case a pest probably stinging it.
Thats what I was afraid of. I originally saw some when I got the coral, cut them back as far as I could but clearly theyve returned. Would dipping it help at all?
 
Dipping doesn't help with vermetids. They just pull into their shell.

Covering the opening with super glue does this trick though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new