torch coral polyps heavily receded

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frigideus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Frigideus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2025
Messages
125
Reaction score
54
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a torch coral that was doing okay for a while but has recently receded to almost a skeletal level of existence. It isn't dead yet, the polyps still do come out a small amount during the day and the green color is still there, but if I don't do anything soon it for sure will be. I have a couple other corals I got from the 3 for 50 bin at my LFS, and I don't exactly know what they are, and those seem to be doing okay, but the torch isn't doing so well. What should I test for/do in this situation? I can provide pictures of it if that would be helpful. My tank is also in the uglies so I don't know if that plays a role. Any and all help is appreciated.
 
How old is your aquarium? What are your perimeters?
My aquarium is coming up on 2.5 months old. I assume you mean parameters. I need to finish taking them but my nitrates are 0.05 and my phosphates were at 0 (I turned off my skimmer for a day or two to try and get it up a bit). I will test the other parameters as soon as I can. The ones I test for are Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Ammonia.
 
IMO torch coral is a bit more advanced type of coral, not exactly a begginer level. A picture of your torch will get more help, but ultimately alkalinity is the most important parameter to learn and keep stable if you want to advance to more delicate corals. Your nitrates and phosphates, if correct, are not good at zero, in such a new tank, it would indicate low nutrients which the corals might be starving. Light and flow is also important.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new