Torch Coral Questions

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up a Dragon's Soul Torch Coral today from my lfs and don't care for the base that the LPS was attached to. For some reason it is attached to a base that looks like it would go better in a planted aquarium since it looks like it has green algae on it while all of my live rock is red from the coralline algae. I looked it over but for the life of me I couldn't find a spot where it was attached, it almost looks like it grew from inside of the plug.

If I was going to remove it from the base how would I go about doing it? I can post pictures tomorrow as the tank is on my desk at work.

Thanks in advance.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I picked up a Dragon's Soul Torch Coral today from my lfs and don't care for the base that the LPS was attached to. For some reason it is attached to a base that looks like it would go better in a planted aquarium since it looks like it has green algae on it while all of my live rock is red from the coralline algae. I looked it over but for the life of me I couldn't find a spot where it was attached, it almost looks like it grew from inside of the plug.

If I was going to remove it from the base how would I go about doing it? I can post pictures tomorrow as the tank is on my desk at work.

Thanks in advance.
Pictures would help

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you maybe hide the base in a crevice or crack of your rock? Thats what I do if I dont like the frag plug. Have a torch with a crap plug but didnt want to hurt him so I hid his plug in a crack in the rock so I only see the coral

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like is the torch recessed into the fragment you bought?

Like no stem??

Whenever i buy torches i make sure its got atleast 3" of skeleton so i can saw off the plug and still have lots of room to handle it

OP
OP
D

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you maybe hide the base in a crevice or crack of your rock? Thats what I do if I dont like the frag plug. Have a torch with a crap plug but didnt want to hurt him so I hid his plug in a crack in the rock so I only see the coral
Nope. I'll put pictures up tomorrow, it's difficult and I'm not sure where the coral actually begins on the plugs.

OP
OP
D

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like is the torch recessed into the fragment you bought?

Like no stem??

Whenever i buy torches i make sure its got atleast 3" of skeleton so i can saw off the plug and still have lots of room to handle it
It has probably 2" worth of stem on the main stalk. There are 2 stems on this plugs. But its almost like there were holes in the plug and that is where someone placed them in. I'll have pictures up tomorrow of it.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see pictures are on the way, other then that what I do is get basically pry it off depending on how much glue is on it

First off, I get bone cutters and chip off as much of the base as possible (sometimes you get lucky and the frag comes off too)

Then, if there’s a lot of glue, I pinch at the glue with the bone cutters around the entire skeleton

After this it’s really easy to just snap it off or get a flathead screwdriver and try to pry it off

Might be a unique process but it’s worked for me at least

OP
OP
D

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures. The 2 stalks almost come out of the plug.... unless the upper portion of the plug is the base of the coral.

Attachments

• 20231115_080320.jpg
    20231115_080320.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231115_080329.jpg
    20231115_080329.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 56

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures. The 2 stalks almost come out of the plug.... unless the upper portion of the plug is the base of the coral.
On yeah what on Helheim? Thats strange.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back