Torch Coral Recovery

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

I picked up a torch coral on the weekend but once I got home I realised it was actually showing skeleton, and doesn't have much of a flesh band.

Ive put it in a low flow area to see if it will recover before putting with my other torches, which are doing great.

Only issue is, i only really have an area of low flow in the corner of the tank which id say is low light also. Will i be doing the torch more harm than good by being in low light? Was sort of hoping being in low flow would help it grow back and recover.

Pic below is after I had just moved it but it dies come out a bit more than that. Also an older pic of my other torches happily growing, little larger now.
20231203_190821.jpg

Screenshots_2023-12-04-18-15-46.png

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the par there? I have torches from sand level all the way to topn of aquarium. So basically from 240 to 400 par with no issues

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear rough. This is just my experience. In June a local reefer asked if I wanted to try to nurse back to health a torch he had that was on its way out. It didn’t have a flesh band and didn’t look well. I put it with my other torches, medium flow and light ( around 150 par). I directly fed it mysis twice a week. Today it is about double the size. I would suggest getting it in moderate light and flow.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question- how do you directly feed them?

Also, if the mouth is closed does direct feed not work?
I go past the polyps and squirt it onto the mouth. I have to confess, with full extension it is sometimes a guess but I never see the mysis float out of the polyps after.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the par there? I have torches from sand level all the way to topn of aquarium. So basically from 240 to 400 par with no issues
I have no idea on the par. Its a waterbox mini peninsula 25 though under a hydra 32hd at 65% so definitely a larger light than neccesary for this tank.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear rough. This is just my experience. In June a local reefer asked if I wanted to try to nurse back to health a torch he had that was on its way out. It didn’t have a flesh band and didn’t look well. I put it with my other torches, medium flow and light ( around 150 par). I directly fed it mysis twice a week. Today it is about double the size. I would suggest getting it in moderate light and flow.
Im sort of just worried the flow is goint to stop it growing over the skeleton again as it was being lifted

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance do you see if the flesh band is regrowing? I’m in a similar situation with a torch I’m trying to recover.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question- how do you directly feed them?

Also, if the mouth is closed does direct feed not work?
I turn off all flow and take PE Mysis flake food, soaked in tank water, and squirt it with a baster gently towards the torch. I can see the tentacles grab it and pull it in

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance do you see if the flesh band is regrowing? I’m in a similar situation with a torch I’m trying to recover.
Yes but it very slow. Still no where near my other torches but when I got it I couldn’t see any flesh band. I wasn’t optimistic but I am now. It takes time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back