Torch coral spliting but not expanding?!

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have this torch coral for almost 3 months and he never fully expanded. Coral had some periods with thick tentacles up to 1.5 inches but never fully expanded.

I tried all positions and all lighting and flow options.

I took him out of sand recently for the first time and placed him up at the shelf, but not too high.

And now few days ago I have noticed 2nd mouth on both heads have appeared. He is spliting right? How come coral is splitting which means he loves the tank, but not fully extending?

4 months old tank.
8.7 dKH
1.025 saltinity
78.7f
Nitrate 5ppm
Calcium 520

20230515_211502.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm patient. But how come it's spliting before extending?
My cristata retracts a bit while it forms a new mouth. All the other heads look great, but the one will be kinda ugly for a while. Then it perks up right after the mouths fully heal and the splitting of the head begins.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm patient. But how come it's spliting before extending?
Could be many things... Some corals split as a survival mechanism even when conditions are bad, in hopes that even if some heads die off, others will live. Other times it's a matter of energy conservation. Splitting and extending are not necessarily related... A coral uses its polyps for things other than our viewing enjoyment ;)

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: this is not torch coral at all.

I was scammed by owner of LFS, he noticed that I was unexperienced with corals, I have picked up a torch coral in their tank with long tentacles, and moved out to different section of store, and he packaged me something different, this is the coral with very short tentacles. I paid this $150.

This is the price when you are unexperienced, but also shame on the guy for scamming his customers like this.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was scammed by owner of LFS, he noticed that I was unexperienced with corals, I have picked up a torch coral in their tank with long tentacles, and moved out to different section of store, and he packaged me something different, this is the coral with very short tentacles. I paid this $150.

This is the price when you are unexperienced, but also shame on the guy for scamming his customers like this.
This is a torch - it's called a cristata, aka "short torch".

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is a torch coral though just not your typical indo torches

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back