Torch coral

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved him to the corner. Way less flow. After a couple minutes he started to open up a little bit

image.jpg
Hows it going?

OP
OP
M

Mike Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good old salinity problems. At least that’s easy to fix. I’m glad you caught it. Keep us updated.
Got salinity where it should be. 1.023. It’s starting to look worse. All other parameters are where they were earlier. Now my alk is at 12.6. After almost a 50% water change over the course of 24 hours my alk only went down a hair

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got salinity where it should be. 1.023. It’s starting to look worse. All other parameters are where they were earlier. Now my alk is at 12.6. After almost a 50% water change over the course of 24 hours my alk only went down a hair
I’d bring salinity up a tad to at least 1.025

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not 1.04. It was reading HI. Which the tester stopped at 3.0

I’m not sure what scale your using, but I’ve never heard of 3.0 salinity? Do you mean 1.030? Now you over corrected to 1.023 and youre trying to try to get it back to 1.027 or so?

I’m just a little confused about where you’re at?

Given that the white flesh over the skeleton is gone, I think your torch is likely a goner. Just work on getting your alk to 8.0-9.0 or so and get your salinity to 1.27 or so and try again another time. Are your other corals looking ok?

OP
OP
M

Mike Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what scale your using, but I’ve never heard of 3.0 salinity? Do you mean 1.030? Now you over corrected to 1.023 and youre trying to try to get it back to 1.027 or so?

Given that the white flesh over the skeleton is gone, I think your torch is likely a goner. Just work on getting your alk to 8.0-9.0 or so and get your salinity to 1.27 or so and try again another time. Are your other corals looking ok?
Trying to get it back to 1.025

OP
OP
M

Mike Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trying to get it back to 1.025
Ya it’s a goner. The little guy started losing its tips

Pazil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try raising your phosphate level... My torches are happiest around 0.08

OP
OP
M

Mike Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just for future reference. I don’t want this problem again. This is the only coral I can not keep. What are ideal parameters for it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just for future reference. I don’t want this problem again. This is the only coral I can not keep. What are ideal parameters for it?
Just focus on salinity first. Don’t chase po4 and no3 too much. I’ve kept them in various lighting, nutrient levels, etc. but salinity must always stay stable. The two biggest parameters are temperature and salinity. Corals aren’t as forgiving when these aren’t kept in line. Alk, Ca, Mg, po4, no3 can be all over the place (kept stable of course) and they can survive (within reason) but you can’t play with temp and salinity.

OP
OP
M

Mike Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just focus on salinity first. Don’t chase po4 and no3 too much. I’ve kept them in various lighting, nutrient levels, etc. but salinity must always stay stable. The two biggest parameters are temperature and salinity. Corals aren’t as forgiving when these aren’t kept in line. Alk, Ca, Mg, po4, no3 can be all over the place (kept stable of course) and they can survive (within reason) but you can’t play with temp and salinity.
That’s what I thought. Can’t believe everything else survived with no signs of stress

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought. Can’t believe everything else survived with no signs of stress
It’s odd like that. I’ve had every malfunction known to man in my tanks. There are always going to be stragglers.

Back