Torch health?

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if the white looking band that goes around the underneath of each head is healthy or not. Disclaimer: torch is normally open, just closed right now because i picked it up do dust off detritus and sand.

67CD918C-C95D-4D3F-B7C8-02DDE2BAD0C0.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is does not.
It should be deeper, the deeper the better.
Seems receding.
Was expecting 3/4” it looks like 1/4”

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, it’s not bad. The more flesh you have down over the skeleton, the better. You might have gotten it this way so keep an eye on it. If it’s happy, you will see the flesh start to creep down the skeleton and eventually it will split into 2 heads.

OP
OP
S

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, it’s not bad. The more flesh you have down over the skeleton, the better. You might have gotten it this way so keep an eye on it. If it’s happy, you will see the flesh start to creep down the skeleton and eventually it will split into 2 heads.
Ok interesting. It actually already has 3 heads.

OP
OP
S

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok interesting. It actually already has 3 heads. Any tips on helping it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Any tips on helping it? Thanks
What is calcium level? It may be low. One of the biggest problems I have seen hobbyists have with euphyllia is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously.

OP
OP
S

Sandberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
What is calcium level? It may be low. One of the biggest problems I have seen hobbyists have with euphyllia is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously
Thanks for the info! I appreciate. Is there still good hope for the torch?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back