Torch not doing well looking for advice.

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold Finger Indo Torch that I bought a few months ago as a silingle head. It's currently 3 heads so that is good but since I have been back from vacation end of March it hasn't looked as healthy. The tentacles are short and thinner then they should be. I had a standard torch near it until a few weeks ago that died and my assumption was that it was too close to a nem that keeps growing but I'm not sure. I moved the torch further from the nem but it's hard to find a spot to far away and it doesn't seem to be improving. Plenty of other LPS all doing well. I'll attach a pick of the torch and the entire tank.

Lights: Reefbreeder 50 Led
Tanks: 100g
Nitrate: 10.7
Alk: 12.04
Ca: 270
Mg: 1440
Ph:8.4
Salinity: 1.026

This is an old very mature tank. I have had this tank for many years and some of the other LPS are probably 15 years old (hammer, bubble).

I lean towards it was stung by the nem and its trying to recover but I don't want to wait and find out it was something else. Any thoughts are appreciated.

20220526_173830.jpg 20220526_173859.jpg

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold Finger Indo Torch that I bought a few months ago as a silingle head. It's currently 3 heads so that is good but since I have been back from vacation end of March it hasn't looked as healthy. The tentacles are short and thinner then they should be. I had a standard torch near it until a few weeks ago that died and my assumption was that it was too close to a nem that keeps growing but I'm not sure. I moved the torch further from the nem but it's hard to find a spot to far away and it doesn't seem to be improving. Plenty of other LPS all doing well. I'll attach a pick of the torch and the entire tank.

Lights: Reefbreeder 50 Led
Tanks: 100g
Nitrate: 10.7
Alk: 12.04
Ca: 270
Mg: 1440
Ph:8.4
Salinity: 1.026

This is an old very mature tank. I have had this tank for many years and some of the other LPS are probably 15 years old (hammer, bubble).

I lean towards it was stung by the nem and its trying to recover but I don't want to wait and find out it was something else. Any thoughts are appreciated.

20220526_173830.jpg 20220526_173859.jpg
One other thing I should have mentioned. I found the hose out of my ca dosing bucket about a week ago and the ca dropped to about 250. I've fixed that and have been bring the ca back up to ots normal level. It usualy stays about 350. I doubt that is the issue but I figured I should mention it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although anemone aggression is probably your issue or perhaps the calcium fluctuations may have irritated it, have you done a recent ICP to check everything?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates??? Temp ??? Anything messing with it . I have a kole tang that whips around the tank looking for food while ticking off coral along the way

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back