Torch or frogspawn coral?

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I got this coral at my lfs and was told it was a torch. I’m second guessing that it could be a frogspawn? Can anyone confirm? Thanks

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i've just watched a video online that said it's almost impossible to tell which is which without looking at the skeletal structure under a microscope.

Apparently (and this is only going from what I saw on that video) you can get Hammers that look like Frogspawn, Frogspawn that look like Torches etc etc.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've just watched a video online that said it's almost impossible to tell which is which without looking at the skeletal structure under a microscope.

Apparently (and this is only going from what I saw on that video) you can get Hammers that look like Frogspawn, Frogspawn that look like Torches etc etc.

I would be interested in that video if you have link. I cant see how it makes sense as the taxanomic description of a hammer coral(euphyllia ancora/euhyllia paraancora) includes the hammer shaped(or anchor as in the name) as part of its definition.

In any case though in terms of the hobby the relevant distinctions are what we commonly know.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure of the forum protocol but here is the link to the video. The bit I am talking about is around 1 minute in. As I say, I know nothing other than what I gleaned from that video.

Back