Torch sending out stingers recently

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aussie torch never sent out stingers before but recently starting to see it more often, especially in the mornings. My tank is LPS / softies. Changes in coral include adding a hammer, frogspawn, and candy cane. Not a big deal, but just kind of curious why all of a sudden. Is it softy toxins (I’m running rox carbon, poly filter right now) or hungry. It’s not in close proximity to other corals though. See photo below, right below bigger clown.
E760900E-63DF-43F6-9223-BC213466C89A.jpeg

Thanks!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just reaching out and wanting to sting something :). How often do you feed? Do you spot feed the corals?

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find mine normally extend after I've dropped food into the tank, especially when I mix in reef roids. It is possible that they might feel threatened but yours looks fairly isolated. Great looking torch btw!

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses!

I haven't fed very often before, but did a couple feedings a week ago with reef roids. Maybe torch is now getting used to feeding and wanting more? :). Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. Torch is healthy with great polyp extension. About 6 months back, I "torched" it with strong LEDs, bleaching half of it, but fed it until it recovered. This thing is a tough one and I love it!

I noticed my frogspawn sends out stingers too, near the end of the day. It is situated near some mushrooms and zoas, so that's why I wondered if the softies are causing them to be defensive.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses!

I haven't fed very often before, but did a couple feedings a week ago with reef roids. Maybe torch is now getting used to feeding and wanting more? :). Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. Torch is healthy with great polyp extension. About 6 months back, I "torched" it with strong LEDs, bleaching half of it, but fed it until it recovered. This thing is a tough one and I love it!

I noticed my frogspawn sends out stingers too, near the end of the day. It is situated near some mushrooms and zoas, so that's why I wondered if the softies are causing them to be defensive.
I had a torch that was close to a toadstool, both of them were reaching out to one another, I ended up moving the torch because I knew who was going to win that war if it started. For your frogspawn, I might think about moving the mushrooms and zoas away, I know it's possible for them to live in peace I just don't trust them to live in peace. I've also seen the reverse where one tentacle starts to die from a sting and then it's over for the euphyllia. Also, I've not sure if zoas release palytoxin if they are stung by other corals. Adding that to my list of coral research.

Enough doom and gloom. You have a great looking tank and some nice pieces. I dig the red goni as well! Cheers!

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a torch that was close to a toadstool, both of them were reaching out to one another, I ended up moving the torch because I knew who was going to win that war if it started. For your frogspawn, I might think about moving the mushrooms and zoas away, I know it's possible for them to live in peace I just don't trust them to live in peace. I've also seen the reverse where one tentacle starts to die from a sting and then it's over for the euphyllia. Also, I've not sure if zoas release palytoxin if they are stung by other corals. Adding that to my list of coral research.

Enough doom and gloom. You have a great looking tank and some nice pieces. I dig the red goni as well! Cheers!

Thanks! Tanks been a journey for sure.

I probably should move my frogspawn. It’s closest to the mushrooms and those have not opened in a while. It’s there for light acclimation, but gonna move it near the hammers in the next few days. Good point about zoas releasing palytoxin. Originally kept them off to the right to let them overgrow without combat, but could be even better if they are further away from things that can sting them.

Got a little excited on how the tank was doing so I decided to just go with a feeding right now. Lol!

A8FE0BE6-FAA8-431A-B254-89460D07BC1F.jpeg

0CB656ED-4ADF-4DD5-B1C7-DAA884B319D4.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a torch...that's what they do. What are you going to do, give it time out? :)

You should never put a torch next to anything other than other Euphyllia, and this is why. Sadistic types will put them next to galaxy corals and let them duke it out, but we aren't savages here - lol.

As they grow and acclimate to the tank they will want more nutrients and hence the stingers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back