Torch separated from skeleton - healthy but what now?

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a torch that separated from its skeleton during my newish tank ugly phase. The tank is now solid however, I saved a torch head that separated. I put it in a specimen box in the refugium. It is very healthy, has great color. Will it grow its skeleton back? Do I need to put it in something? Should I put cobble LR under it?

Thanks in advance.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a torch that separated from its skeleton during my newish tank ugly phase. The tank is now solid however, I saved a torch head that separated. I put it in a specimen box in the refugium. It is very healthy, has great color. Will it grow its skeleton back? Do I need to put it in something? Should I put cobble LR under it?

Thanks in advance.
I've had stalks break and crumble during fragging and the skeletal head basket was all that was left and the torch survived and regrew a base stock.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had stalks break and crumble during fragging and the skeletal head basket was all that was left and the torch survived and regrew a base stock.
Since it is doing well in the fuge I will probably just keep it in there. It will be interesting to see it grow back. It is a cool blue tip torch with great colors in the tentacles and would be nice to save. Haven't seen another one like it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is doing well in the fuge I will probably just keep it in there. It will be interesting to see it grow back. It is a cool blue tip torch with great colors in the tentacles and would be nice to save. Haven't seen another one like it.
I'd be concerned with why it separated in the first place? Corals do stuff like polyp bailout as last ditch efforts for survival when they are in a bad environment so hopefully it was just a fluke with your coral.

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be concerned with why it separated in the first place? Corals do stuff like polyp bailout as last ditch efforts for survival when they are in a bad environment so hopefully it was just a fluke with your coral.

My tank is new ish and went through an ugly phase with cyano. Me guess is trying to remove the cyano some got into the body of the Torch and most of the heads died off but.one where there was polyp bailout. The other torches are fine. Chemistry is normal. The tank is in good shape now.

I have two specimen boxes in the fuge. One has nothing but the Torch polyp, the other had mushrooms that are now in DT. There is gravel size pieces of LR in the second. I guess my question now is should I move into the specimen box with the gravel.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is new ish and went through an ugly phase with cyano. Me guess is trying to remove the cyano some got into the body of the Torch and most of the heads died off but.one where there was polyp bailout. The other torches are fine. Chemistry is normal. The tank is in good shape now.

I have two specimen boxes in the fuge. One has nothing but the Torch polyp, the other had mushrooms that are now in DT. There is gravel size pieces of LR in the second. I guess my question now is should I move into the specimen box with the gravel.
Is it just tentacles or is it the complete basket with the live coral inside?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are in fact stable than it may end up growing a skeleton back. There are a few threads on here talking about that exact same thing, I'd add it to the display so it gets good lighting, make sure to add it (still in a specimen box) to an adequate light area with very low flow so it dosent blow around. Polyp bailout is tricky to recover from but not impossible (though pretty close to it), wish to you best of luck!

OP
OP
CaptainSupersonic

CaptainSupersonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are in fact stable than it may end up growing a skeleton back. There are a few threads on here talking about that exact same thing, I'd add it to the display so it gets good lighting, make sure to add it (still in a specimen box) to an adequate light area with very low flow so it dosent blow around. Polyp bailout is tricky to recover from but not impossible (though pretty close to it), wish to you best of luck!
Thank you. I have an AI Prime 16 in the fuge, same as I have in the DT. There is low flow down there and no predators. I have read others posts about torch polyp bailout and how theirs died after a couple weeks. Mine has been down there for three weeks and it looks healthy. Do you have a link for the thread you are talking about? I can move the conversation over there.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have an AI Prime 16 in the fuge, same as I have in the DT. There is low flow down there and no predators. I have read others posts about torch polyp bailout and how theirs died after a couple weeks. Mine has been down there for three weeks and it looks healthy. Do you have a link for the thread you are talking about? I can move the conversation over there.
Both of these have had success until an unrelated issue took them out. Though it had nothing to do with the bailout and they did seem to be recovering well
Has anyone had success with any lps head that has bailed out of its skeleton?
I just had an Octospawn lose 2 heads. I put both heads in a cup and they open like normal. Wonder how long they'll last like this.
20181228_175836.jpg

So I woke up to this sadness :(

It’s still partially attached to the skeleton, but looks like by a thread. It also has its feeders out like normal before lights on — looks perfectly normal except for off the skeleton (oh, just a small detail, I know).

Only thing different is I did a WC y’day, but params all matched up, and this coral looked plump and juicy up until I went to bed.

Anything I can do to help it? I haven’t touched it for fear that would make it worse.

A5A5043D-C214-436B-8D7E-B07A3D7DDC0B.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back