Torch twisting and bulging

Newatthis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve seen people post similar threads but nobody has been able to give an answer so just thought I’d try again.

As you can hopefully see from the photos, the torch is twisting and bulging, it also looks a little stringy.

Water parameters seem fine, though I have ordered new ones just incase. I have the Fluval 13.5 and using the stock light so I’m currently putting it down to that.

Would love and appreciate anyone else’s thoughts on this.

Thanks!
977BC9EC-6AE0-4961-856D-0F8458A6A116.jpeg
DE7E6C5A-8B22-4E42-91B8-6E01086E7FA2.jpeg
77A0FBF2-BFC3-4BD6-81EF-B983D822A5CD.jpeg 744913CB-410E-4710-8AE2-05AB54C661AB.jpeg BF379DBF-81B5-4B72-AB3F-24589533DF03.jpeg A6179ACF-DCD2-4BD1-9882-0B30886CB794.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Few quick questions. New torch? Are the other ones doing ok? Do you feed the coral or dose anything?

I am thinking with a lower par light it may need some help with flow and feeding. This is just a guess though not knowing what your actual parameters are, lighting schedule, feeding, etc .

OP
OP
Newatthis

Newatthis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Few quick questions. New torch? Are the other ones doing ok? Do you feed the coral or dose anything?

I am thinking with a lower par light it may need some help with flow and feeding. This is just a guess though not knowing what your actual parameters are, lighting schedule, feeding, etc .
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It is a new one yes, the other two are also like it but no where near the extent of this.

I actually started feeding them ReefRoids a few days ago and plan to do it twice per week. With regards to the light schedule, it’s the Fluval 13.5 stock light so it’s either white, blue or off. I don’t use the white at all as I find it massively increases algae growth so I have the blue on from around 2pm until about 10pm and that’s it.

I did move it to lower light area for a few days but saw no improvement.

With regards to dosing, I don’t dose anything. Perhaps I should start, what would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would not dose anything not knowing your parameters. Good on feeding reef roids, but watch Po4. It can raise it if used too much.

Your lighting seems too short, longer periods would be better. I have never run all blues. If you are finding algae with whites I would definitely check Po4.

Just a few thoughts :)

OP
OP
Newatthis

Newatthis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would not dose anything not knowing your parameters. Good on feeding reef roids, but watch Po4. It can raise it if used too much.

Your lighting seems too short, longer periods would be better. I have never run all blues. If you are finding algae with whites I would definitely check Po4.

Just a few thoughts :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

All parameters look good but I’m not sure I trust my test kits so I’ve got new ones on order.

Thanks again!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It is a new one yes, the other two are also like it but no where near the extent of this.

I actually started feeding them ReefRoids a few days ago and plan to do it twice per week. With regards to the light schedule, it’s the Fluval 13.5 stock light so it’s either white, blue or off. I don’t use the white at all as I find it massively increases algae growth so I have the blue on from around 2pm until about 10pm and that’s it.

I did move it to lower light area for a few days but saw no improvement.

With regards to dosing, I don’t dose anything. Perhaps I should start, what would you recommend?

Thanks again!
I would feed torches meaty foods like mysis shrimp, 2-3 of them will be a sustainable meal for them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back