Torch with Brown Jelly

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi, this is my first time dealing with brown jelly. I have an Aussie torch got brown jelly couple weeks ago, and I throw half of them away in the hope that the remaining will survive. When I check again today, the brown jelly seems to persist. The torch only have one large head, and half of it seems fine at this moment. Should I cut and throw away the infected area (have to cut the flesh)? Not sure if this will make it worse.
IMG_4447.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it develops I don't think there's much you can do. Unfortunately this is an issue with most Euphalia especially torches. I've put them on my do not buy list because of it. Never had a torch last for more than a year. Frogspawn and hammers I've been very successful with but not torches. They seem to get it out of nowhere.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually will frag off the affected head and peroxide dip the rest of the colony - it doesn't look pretty when it happens, but I've managed to save all but a goni with the method from this thread. You definitely need to act fast though if you want to try and save that other head.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I usually will frag off the affected head and peroxide dip the rest of the colony - it doesn't look pretty when it happens, but I've managed to save all but a goni with the method from this thread. You definitely need to act fast though if you want to try and save that other head.
Thank you! In my case above, do you recommend fragging the infected area (they’re still connected in flesh)?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! In my case above, do you recommend fragging the infected area (they’re still connected in flesh)?
I do - once the jelly has set in on a polyp it's just a matter of time before it's a total goner, and it spreads super super fast - it can take out other euphyllia in your tank within days of the first visible sign in one polyp. The peroxide dip helps clear the healthier side of the bacteria that causes brown jelly - if you have a quarantine tank for corals I also highly recommend isolating the infected colony for a couple weeks after the peroxide dip to be sure - I usually do 3 weeks because I find that if it's going to come back, it'll be in those weeks, and it gives the colony time to heal the cut flesh before going back into the display.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, this is my first time dealing with brown jelly. I have an Aussie torch got brown jelly couple weeks ago, and I throw half of them away in the hope that the remaining will survive. When I check again today, the brown jelly seems to persist. The torch only have one large head, and half of it seems fine at this moment. Should I cut and throw away the infected area (have to cut the flesh)? Not sure if this will make it worse.
IMG_4447.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg
I dont see jelly or BJD And coral itself does not look bad but skeleton is bare and suggests low calcium which is important for this coral. Should be no less than 380-400 . Should have a bone-like appearance. Assure also temperature has not become elevated

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I dont see jelly or BJD And coral itself does not look bad but skeleton is bare and suggests low calcium which is important for this coral. Should be no less than 380-400 . Should have a bone-like appearance. Assure also temperature has not become elevated
I cleaned this coral before this picture is taken. The skeleton was cover in brown jelly before, and I already lost half of it. The other part is barely infected, that’s why it still opens

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do - once the jelly has set in on a polyp it's just a matter of time before it's a total goner, and it spreads super super fast - it can take out other euphyllia in your tank within days of the first visible sign in one polyp. The peroxide dip helps clear the healthier side of the bacteria that causes brown jelly - if you have a quarantine tank for corals I also highly recommend isolating the infected colony for a couple weeks after the peroxide dip to be sure - I usually do 3 weeks because I find that if it's going to come back, it'll be in those weeks, and it gives the colony time to heal the cut flesh before going back into the display.
Unfortunately, I do not have a quarantine tank. I placed it in a corner far from other corals. What’s the chance of infecting other coral? If the chance is high, I might consider throwing it away

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I cleaned this coral before this picture is taken. The skeleton was cover in brown jelly before, and I already lost half of it. The other part is barely infected, that’s why it still opens
No need to quarantine but try a lugols iodine dip.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back