Torn between Kessil's with 48x18x10 mixed reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsouth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2007
Messages
2,395
Reaction score
2,931
Location
NYC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R team, hope all is well with you and happy new year!

I am currently planning out an upgrade of a tank that is 48Lx18Wx10H and am seeking guidance on lighting a mixed reef.

I currently have a setup that uses 2 x kessil A80's. I would like to utilize Kessil's on the new tank, and whether or not that means using the a80's with supplemental lighting, adding an additional a80, or changing to 160's is where I need those with experience to help me out. Thank you in advance for your time! All my best to you
 
Personally, I go with at least the 160's. The 80's are okay, but don't provide a ton of punch. Being that your tank is only 10" high, you might get away with 80's. Just need 3 if not 4...
 
Thank you for the insight.

I assume that 3 x 160's would be ideal and will take anything I throw at it, but 2 is good enough to play with some acros?
 
Thank you for the insight.

I assume that 3 x 160's would be ideal and will take anything I throw at it, but 2 is good enough to play with some acros?
For acros I would do 4 or 5 a80’s. That’s going to be a really cool sps tank! I’m excited to see it!

you could also light that tank with T5’s very easily if the a80’s aren’t bright enough.
 
I think you’d need 4x A80s for 48” - I had 3x on my 36” IM30 and it worked well.
 
You are going to get very low par with A80s they are 15w each even at 6" you would probably be getting under 100 par.
 
I agree. I think the A80's aren't going to cut it and I would rather be safe than sorry.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new