Torn between running AB+ all day or AB+ for 8 hours then straight blues for 4

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the title states. I’m currently torn between the 2.

I have been running straight AB+ Since November. I personally hate what AB+ looks but if that’s what’s needed for the corals then that’s what I’ll run….

can someone with better knowledge on this please chime in. My gut says that too much white light for 12+ hours isn’t ideal.

Im personally a fan of very blue tanks but I also understand that white helps with the PAR.

I CAN provide what my PAR reading are with AB+ if needed

the other schedule would be AB+ from 8am to 4pm then 4pm to 8:30pm straight blues

thanks

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

good watch. But I don’t personally know about the AB+ or anything. I thought it was on the blue side when I seen it. But that doesn’t mean anything because I have bad eyes. Hahaha
doesnt WWC run the ab+? They have good success with it but I understand your statement is more about wanting more blue

corey

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can decrease the white. I don't like 100% blue as I believe white provides a better environment for the fish but you can run a lower amount of white unless your tank is starving for par. I have about 2 hours in the morning and evening of just blue

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you talk about lighting without revealing what types of corals you are trying to keep n grow?

Like saying you want to grow trees.

You talking Palm trees? Canadian Maples? What?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ramp up from mostly blues in the morning over an hour until I get to my full spectrum (which lasts for 8 hours). Then I do a long tail that's increasingly blue that coincides with when I get home from work and am around the tank. That way, my corals get the light they need, while I get the color pop I desire. Basically, I just pull the tails on the template out as desired. Also note, I use the Radion gen5 Blues on my big DT, so I have a little more blue anyway. HTH

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

good watch. But I don’t personally know about the AB+ or anything. I thought it was on the blue side when I seen it. But that doesn’t mean anything because I have bad eyes. Hahaha
doesnt WWC run the ab+? They have good success with it but I understand your statement is more about wanting more blue

corey

The schedule I have in question is starts as AB+ and over 9 hours it’s gradually decreases and turns into straight blues at 4pm

You can decrease the white. I don't like 100% blue as I believe white provides a better environment for the fish but you can run a lower amount of white unless your tank is starving for par. I have about 2 hours in the morning and evening of just blue
Mine is about 30min or straight blue in the evening. Whatever AB+ is.

How can you talk about lighting without revealing what types of corals you are trying to keep n grow?

Like saying you want to grow trees.

You talking Palm trees? Canadian Maples? What?
Mixed reef. I can show you my reef

I ramp up from mostly blues in the morning over an hour until I get to my full spectrum (which lasts for 8 hours). Then I do a long tail that's increasingly blue that coincides with when I get home from work and am around the tank. That way, my corals get the light they need, while I get the color pop I desire. Basically, I just pull the tails on the template out as desired. Also note, I use the Radion gen5 Blues on my big DT, so I have a little more blue anyway. HTH
I have 3 XR15Pro Gen 5

the setting in question is AB+ till 12 then from 12-2 it’s AB+ at 15% whites then 10% whites from 2-4 then it turns all blue

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back