Torpedo puffer

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had a normally very slow moving Valentini puffer that "madly dashed" around in the tank, banging on tank sides and other things?

At first he went on a hunger strike for 3-4 days, then started doing his stunt a few times the next few days. Twice he managed to "escape" from the 180 gal tank (One time he landed on the floor! ) I think he only did that when I approached the tank, like he's getting SUPER hyper!

Over a week without food I thought he would die for sure. Then strangely he started feeding a little, then went back to 100% normal again( now normal for 3 weeks).

What happened??? He has NEVER been bitten, chased, or harrashed by other fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had a normally very slow moving Valentini puffer that "madly dashed" around in the tank, banging on tank sides and other things?

At first he went on a hunger strike for 3-4 days, then started doing his stunt a few times the next few days. Twice he managed to "escape" from the 180 gal tank (One time he landed on the floor! ) I think he only did that when I approached the tank, like he's getting SUPER hyper!

Over a week without food I thought he would die for sure. Then strangely he started feeding a little, then went back to 100% normal again( now normal for 3 weeks).

Sorry, I can't say what that was all about! Certainly short term stress will cause a fish to stop eating and even dash around the tank in fright, but that is usually caused by some external source; another fish, you moving around outside the tank, etc.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

You mentioned other fish. What other fish are in with it?
What foods are you offering ?

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I have him for 2 years, eating the same flakes and pellets with the "same tankmates". Nobody ever bothers him. Whenever I do tank maintainence he would not try to dash away from my hand, just slowly swims up and down. So I don't know what scared him. It appears to me that's somekind of disorder in the nerve system: he was shooting at a "super high speed"! But the hiding and stop feeding??? Also nobody touched him during that period. He did the dash when I was approching though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back