Tossing around an apartment idea...

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an interview for a position, and the interviewer mentioned that since it’s a fairly remote location, employees spend a few days at the location, and a few days at their homes. It’s a pretty good job, (also, a job!!) and it’d be great if I got the position. But given where I want to take my fishkeeping hobby, it puts me in an interesting place.

One idea, was for me to rent a two bedroom apartment, and then sublet to somebody. Equal rent (or maybe they’d pay less?) but since the subletter basically gets a 2BR to themselves half the time, I’d ask for them to help with feeding the fish (a cube of this, hatch brine shrimp out that, etc.). Does this sound like an equal trade? It wouldn’t really interfere with the other person’s work, and hopefully wouldn’t take more than 10-30 minutes/day, but something about this arrangement sounds off to me.

The other idea is just to find somebody in a similar situation, and consolidate; I feed their fish when they’re not around, they feed my fish when I’m not around...

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation will most likely be necessary, but I’d still like to get my fish frozen food as much as possible, especially since I plan to breed them.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the work location in the field?

Any ability to have a reef jar? Just shuffle it from place to place.

FWIW I packed all my tanks away when I went into the mobile workforce....but I still had a FW system at my first field bunkhouse and the same at another seasonal job. We even had a couple of FW tanks at one job with threatened native fish in them.

Glue Masters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to trust this person to a high degree. Tough call, I would not do it. Automation plus some cameras will help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back