Total newbie, just joined R2R

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, I have been reading it all morning and it was extremely helpful! :)

Right now I am still deciding between the Red Sea AIO's Max E-170, Max E-260 vs. the Reefer 170 & Reefer 250. Currently the location I want to use in the living room is limited and only the 170 fits. However I am trying to convince my wife to get rid of an old sofa/ottoman that we hardly ever use as our main seating area is a beautiful leather sectional. If she agrees to do this there will be additional space and I can go with either the Max E-260 or the Reefer 250.

I am torn between the RS Max-E AIO tanks vs the Reefer line. This is my first venture with a saltwater tank and it is intimidating. Yes, almost every thread regarding this type of choice I have read in R2R says go with the Reefer series so would I be making a big mistake with the AIO's?.
I
I convinced my husband to move the TV set-up into the next room so that we could fit in the tank I wanted. Don't look where you can fit it -- look where you want it. Hang in there. However, the spouse does have a say in the matter. ;) The tanks you are looking at are good ones. You will be happy with them. Be sure to post pics as soon as you get one.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I convinced my husband to move the TV set-up into the next room so that we could fit in the tank I wanted. Don't look where you can fit it -- look where you want it. Hang in there. However, the spouse does have a say in the matter. ;) The tanks you are looking at are good ones. You will be happy with them. Be sure to post pics as soon as you get one.

Hi Tonya,
I wish that was an option and a tank (larger than the Reefer 250) would look great where my TV is now located in the living room but we live in a condo where all of the exterior walls are a window frame with floor to ceiling glass and therefore we have limited interior wall space where the tank can be located. Needless to say I don't want it too close to the windows and our small second bedroom is already setup as an office.
Robert

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tonya,
I wish that was an option and a tank (larger than the Reefer 250) would look great where my TV is now located in the living room but we live in a condo where all of the exterior walls are a window frame with floor to ceiling glass and therefore we have limited interior wall space where the tank can be located. Needless to say I don't want it too close to the windows and our small second bedroom is already setup as an office.
Robert
The reefer 250 is a nice size -- 54 gallons. You can do a lot with a tank that size. I have a tank of similar size currently set up and I really enjoy it. I get the condo thing -- and windows. My current build is in a room with patio doors. I haven't added a drop of water yet, but I'm hoping not to have an algae problem. We will find out soon enough. I can't wait to see what tank you choose.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the reefer series. The sump just adds so much and the flexibility of the reefer series let’s uou make if more of your own.

Welcome! You should make a build thread once you decide and we’re all more than happy to add our $.02

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the reefer series. The sump just adds so much and the flexibility of the reefer series let’s uou make if more of your own.

Welcome! You should make a build thread once you decide and we’re all more than happy to add our $.02

Thanks, I will.

If I am forced to settle for the 170 size do you still feel the same way about selecting the Reefer over the Max E-170? The compartment under the Reefer 170 is small and if I get the Max-E 170 I would have room for storage.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will.

If I am forced to settle for the 170 size do you still feel the same way about selecting the Reefer over the Max E-170? The compartment under the Reefer 170 is small and if I get the Max-E 170 I would have room for storage.
Go to your local fish store and see what they have on display. Speak to a sales professional who knows what he/she is doing and go from there. The only reason I don't have a reefer is because when I had a fist-load of cash, my Aqueon was on a super-sale and I could get many more gallons for my money. I had planned on buying a reefer up to that point. Although I love my new tank, I frequently wonder if I should have gone with the reefer. It is a gorgeous tank. I'm a librarian in the real world -- here are some links to hopefully help you...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-vs-max-e-series-profile-dimensions-question.361472/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-170-or-rs-max-e-170.309296/
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575048
https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/red-sea-reefer-or-red-sea-max-e-series.794908/
https://fishtankadvisor.com/best-reef-tank-reviews/
https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/articles/best-all-in-one-reef-tank
https://www.businessinsider.com/bes...st-saltwater-tank-with-more-than-50-gallons-5
https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef.
excited.gif

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefer 250 is a nice size -- 54 gallons. You can do a lot with a tank that size. I have a tank of similar size currently set up and I really enjoy it. I get the condo thing -- and windows. My current build is in a room with patio doors. I haven't added a drop of water yet, but I'm hoping not to have an algae problem. We will find out soon enough. I can't wait to see what tank you choose.

OK, after an extensive campaign I finally got the green light for the Reefer 250 Deluxe (Hydra 26 HD LED's & white cabinet) from my wife and we are going to our LFS tomorrow to order it. I do need some advice on what equipment to order along with it. I have visited 4 different stores and picked the brains of their staff and have received some different advice at each LFS. After reading many threads here on R2R here is my proposed list but I am open to all suggestions.

REEF OCTOPUS CLASSIC 110INT 4” INTERNAL PROTEIN SKIMMER or the REEF OCTOPUS CLASSIC 110SSS 5" INTERNAL SPACE SAVING PROTEIN SKIMMER
VECTRA S1 DC PUMP
VORTECH MP40wQD POWERHEAD or NERO 5 POWERHEAD (Ecotech's website says the glass on the Reefer 250 is too thick for the MP10wQD)
VORTECH BATTERY BACK-UP
RED SEA DIY AQUARIUM NET COVER

This tank will be located in the living room so I do want quiet equipment!

What type of power strip/surge protector do most people use? I spoke to Amanda at Red Sea's customer service and she mentioned that I can also purchase their Integrated Power Center that has 7 outlets and they use in their Max-E 170 & 260 AIO tanks if I wanted to.

Which filter bags do most people use on the Reefer 250?

Is there anything else that I am missing? I want long term reliability and would rather pay a little more now as opposed to replacing things later on.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back