!!!TOTAL PHOTOGRAPHIC TRANSPARANCY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have lightroom on my phone because my new note 5 allows me to shoot in raw! Thanks so much for the write up and explanation! Now hopefully the app is similar to the PC version.
Before lightroom
78827a9f3b0be9483f1f732cdebe3e62.jpg

After, there isn't to much difference but I only wanted to make it look more realistic.
bf19cea54662f5ed2c4501c77f749d88.jpg

maybe try pulling that blue out a bit more and see how it looks . Almost looks like the second one is bluer. And i know you're just practicing, but id do everything i could to keep that light reflection out of the pic and off the coral as well:)

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe try pulling that blue out a bit more and see how it looks . Almost looks like the second one is bluer. And i know you're just practicing, but id do everything i could to keep that light reflection out of the pic and off the coral as well:)
The sliders are a little different in the app, so yes I'm still trying to figure it out [emoji4] I'll remember to keep the reflection off the corals though ty.

California Reef Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up Adam. We use the same exact program and methods for post processing our raw photos.

For as long as photoshop/lightroom has existed, non-photography folks will beat you with a stick if you do anything to your pictures. There's this widespread notion that anything that comes direct from the camera is "TRUE" and should be left alone. Well the simple fact is there's usually an unrealistic heavy blue cast on most reef aquarium pictures taken with our cameras.

I think many of us do post-process pictures to try and match what we see in our tanks. Some people do get a little carried away with the Saturation bar.

I'm considering taking unedited cellphone pictures to go along with our photos for more transparency in our sales.

Another tip for people who don't have lightroom or shoot in raw format. Stick an orange gel filter (usually costs less than 10$) in front of your camera lens to remove the blue cast from your picture.
20 11 20121353409018cfc-kar12-wese_1.jpg

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up Adam. We use the same exact program and methods for post processing our raw photos.

For as long as photoshop/lightroom has existed, non-photography folks will beat you with a stick if you do anything to your pictures. There's this widespread notion that anything that comes direct from the camera is "TRUE" and should be left alone. Well the simple fact is there's usually an unrealistic heavy blue cast on most reef aquarium pictures taken with our cameras.

I think many of us do post-process pictures to try and match what we see in our tanks. Some people do get a little carried away with the Saturation bar.

I'm considering taking unedited cellphone pictures to go along with our photos for more transparency in our sales.

Another tip for people who don't have lightroom or shoot in raw format. Stick an orange gel filter (usually costs less than 10$) in front of your camera lens to remove the blue cast from your picture.
20 11 20121353409018cfc-kar12-wese_1.jpg
Some getting a little carried away with saturation is an under statement.

If i start a thread asking "did you get what you expected after you were seduced by the amazing pictures" i suspect more than 1 response.

If you really do raw pictures and adjusted pictures on your future marketing process you would bring sanity and honesty to a hobby and marketing practice that has gotten put of control.

A coral should be deemed as ultra because its truly ultra, not because someone saturates a picture and creates a bunch of branding hype.

I was fooled once and that is all it took.

What is most flagrant abput this abuse of photo fixing is that sellers know that the most likely new sucker is a newbie, its called hustling, taking for a ride, rip off.

Price of coral should be set by the species, availability and color pattern not by uncrupulous sellers looking for the next newbie/sucker.

I hope folks are truly reading this thread and absorbing the message.

One thing is fixing a photo to show the beauty of an item

Another thing is to completely mess with the picture to in a simple word, scam.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some getting a little carried away with saturation is an under statement.

If i start a thread asking "did you get what you expected after you were seduced by the amazing pictures" i suspect more than 1 response.

If you really do raw pictures and adjusted pictures on your future marketing process you would bring sanity and honesty to a hobby and marketing practice that has gotten put of control.

A coral should be deemed as ultra because its truly ultra, not because someone saturates a picture and creates a bunch of branding hype.

I was fooled once and that is all it took.

What is most flagrant abput this abuse of photo fixing is that sellers know that the most likely new sucker is a newbie, its called hustling, taking for a ride, rip off.

Price of coral should be set by the species, availability and color pattern not by uncrupulous sellers looking for the next newbie/sucker.

I hope folks are truly reading this thread and absorbing the message.

One thing is fixing a photo to show the beauty of an item

Another thing is to completely mess with the picture to in a simple word, scam.

Guess i let this one linger a while lol

Thanks a lot for the posts guys! sorry it took me so long to get back to this one

Clownman727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those looking to save a few bucks, try RawTherapee. It is open source and free. I actually greatly prefer it to Lightroom as it has an even wider field of White Balance adjustment (with my Canon and Lightroom, I could never get enough blue out of the pics if shooting under LEDs).

Also I use FastStone Photo Resizer to add Watermark and batch resize photos. RawTherapee does some of that, but I like having an external tool.

sIjliHI.jpg

What is the name of this Acro?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for Adam's pics being dead on. here's my "what i saw vs what I got" with my SC orange passion from BC.

IMG_2696_1024x1024.jpg dunno.jpg

IMG_2696_1024x1024.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I have that coral. I got it from a local fish store for $15. It is a beauty for sure.

Nic! that's good grab for sure. There are some exceptional variants of this one out there for sure.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write-up, Adam! I added it to our article database under aquarium photography.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This popped up as an updated article, so I read it again. This time I noticed that you drop the highlights channel by 100. I tried that and WOW, what a difference that makes. Until now I've been hesitant to mess with much beyond the WB, exposure, and sometimes the tone curve. Dropping hightlights improves most of my coral shots considerably.

Back