Trace amounts of ammonia

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bryan47
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Because if I'm just putting ammonia in trying to decrease nitrates I'm only going to get more nitrates. However I getting a consistent 0 on nitrites. And 5-10 on my nitrates. I have some tropic Marin salt I will try and see if it yields the same results.
 
Okay so I just tried with a new box of TropicMarin Salt and got the same result. This water is faucet temperature so I just put a heater in to bring it up to 80 degrees Farenheit to see if this has any effect.

So is the salt causing ammonia or causing a false reading of ammonia? I'm going to call a few of the big salt companies tomorrow to ask.
 
Here is a picture of the tropic marin ammonia test and the rest of my tank water

Tropic Marin:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427692850.532929.jpg


My Display:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427692864.282818.jpg
 
It may however effect how the salt mixes. I was told large salt granules can cause this. My tank reading is showing a little green tint as well. I called IO today but was on hold for like 15 minutes so I left a message.
 
lol there is no ammonia in your salt. Its the API test kit that is 100% 0 ammonia it always shows that color. stop wasting them you dont have any ammonia in your tank. Way over thinking it man.
 
Well that makes me feel better. I will order a different test kit just to confirm. What brand would you recommend ? Thank you!
 
I use API when i see that color i know im good. Actually never test ammonia on my tanks anymore, once your tank has cycled you should never ever see ammonia again unless something catastrophic happens.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new