Trace Elements - Fauna Marin good? Or use Red Sea?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm planning to start adding trace elements (as well as amino acids). I already dose 2 part Ca and Alk (and might start doing Magnesium). Currently using BRS Alk and Ca. I think Red Sea's Trace Colors are better known and more available, but Fauna Marin's option would be a lot cheaper, and according to this video, can be added directly to the BRS 2 part:
Fauna Marin Trace with BRS 2 part

Can Red Sea's 4 part trace elements be added to BRS 2 part as well? And with either option, will it stay mixed or might it separate over time? With Fauna Marin's being cheaper and able to be added to my 2 part dosing, that looks like the best option on paper. Thoughts?

Both products seem to have similar components (although Red Sea lacks a very important one in Strontium). I could only find Fauna Marin's at AquaCave (although BRS used to carry it):
Fauna Marin Trace Elements 1

With Red Sea, their instructions call for about 30 mL of each per month in my tank, while with Fauna Marin, I'd use about 3 mL of #1 and #2 per month and 10 mL of #3 per month (based on the numbers from the video above and my tank using 1/2 gallon of each component each month). Fauna Marin's is more expensive per mL, but I'd use just 1/10 of the amount of #1-#2 and 1/3 of #3 (and not have a 4th item to dose)... I'd love to hear some input on this! Thanks,
--Kyle

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i only dose for what i can test...but heres a bump for you.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Red Sea's 4 part trace elements be added to BRS 2 part as well?

Don't know if it would be safe to "add" them to BRS 2 part, but I like the Red Sea Color's program.

At least Red Sea has an safe way to dose per your calcium's intake.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i only dose for what i can test...but heres a bump for you.

I appreciate the bump! :) I'll probably get the Iodine, Iron, and Potassium test kits to monitor those levels occasionally as well.

Don't know if it would be safe to "add" them to BRS 2 part, but I like the Red Sea Color's program.

At least Red Sea has an safe way to dose per your calcium's intake.

Well, the Fauna Marin instructions say that you can with theirs. Which would be a lot simpler than manually dosing every day (or week)! And they have instructions for the same - how much to add based on the 2 part usage. The downside is that Fauna Martin's product is harder to find (BRS doesn't carry it anymore) and I think they might have even discontinued it...

It's unfortunate that Red Sea's can't be added to 2 part (I got confirmation of that), it's more expensive, and it's a shame they don't include Strontium, which is one of the more important trace elements. Not sure what to do.
--Kyle

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same thing and have put Alk, Ca and Mg on a doser. I am extinguishing water changes on my system. After the next one on Dec 5th I am going to stop and see how it goes. But I am only doing 80gal on 400gal system once a month now. I am using Kent essential elements because I have used it for a very long time which means nothing.
I have the same question and need the same answers.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same thing and have put Alk, Ca and Mg on a doser. I am extinguishing water changes on my system. After the next one on Dec 5th I am going to stop and see how it goes. But I am only doing 80gal on 400gal system once a month now. I am using Kent essential elements because I have used it for a very long time which means nothing.
I have the same question and need the same answers.

Thanks for sharing! That would be really cheap at about $1 per month to dose (with their big 64 oz bottle), but I'd have my doubts on the product. Here are the ingredients:
Calcium Chloride, Cobalt Chloride, Iron EDTA, Lithium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Manganese EDTA, Nickel Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Strontium Chloride, Zinc EDTA, Copper EDTA, and Potassium Bromide.
I do see potassium, strontium, and iodide in there. Maybe it's decent?

Red Sea Trace Colors (A-D) in contrast would be a lot more - $6.30 per month (or less if I'm cautious on how much I dose). But I'm pretty sure it's a better product (however, it lacks Strontium for whatever reason)... Part of my concern is Kent is just a flat recommendation, whereas Red Sea's is tied to your actual calcium uptake. So there's a risk of over (or under) dosing with Kent. Thanks,
--Kyle

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! That would be really cheap at about $1 per month to dose (with their big 64 oz bottle), but I'd have my doubts on the product. Here are the ingredients:
Calcium Chloride, Cobalt Chloride, Iron EDTA, Lithium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Manganese EDTA, Nickel Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Strontium Chloride, Zinc EDTA, Copper EDTA, and Potassium Bromide.
I do see potassium, strontium, and iodide in there. Maybe it's decent?

Red Sea Trace Colors (A-D) in contrast would be a lot more - $6.30 per month (or less if I'm cautious on how much I dose). But I'm pretty sure it's a better product (however, it lacks Strontium for whatever reason)... Part of my concern is Kent is just a flat recommendation, whereas Red Sea's is tied to your actual calcium uptake. So there's a risk of over (or under) dosing with Kent. Thanks,
--Kyle
Actually I have used the kent with weekly water changes for 10 years. I will attest to the fact it is better than using nothing. I was about to make a post identical to yours asking the same question.
What trace element package to use with BRS bulk dosing chemicals?
I kind of assumed there would be something commonly used. Looks very complicated.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a shame they don't include Strontium, which is one of the more important trace elements. Not sure what to do.
--Kyle

Strontium is included in their Calcium Foundation Part A is why it’s not included in the Colors additives. FWIW I use the BRS 2 part and all 4 of the trace additives. My tank really doesn’t seem to miss the added Strontium because I also do a weekly water change with the Red Sea blue bucket.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strontium is included in their Calcium Foundation Part A is why it’s not included in the Colors additives.

My friend,
That is true....^^^^

That's one reason that I use the Red Sea Colors program, because my cal reactor's media is already high in Strontium.

FWIW:
I've seen fellow reefers dose Tropic Marin (Balling) Part C, with BRS two part too.
You dose TM Part C, matching the lowest dose of your cal or alk, but it maybe better for ion stability (keeping your alk and cal doses even) than adding additional trace elements.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strontium is included in their Calcium Foundation Part A is why it’s not included in the Colors additives. FWIW I use the BRS 2 part and all 4 of the trace additives. My tank really doesn’t seem to miss the added Strontium because I also do a weekly water change with the Red Sea blue bucket.

Good to know, and that makes more sense!

I was thinking about using the 4 Red Sea trace colors, but it's pretty expensive. And it would be nice to get something I didn't have to dose manually each time (add to the Ca/Alk instead).
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW:
I've seen fellow reefers dose Tropic Marin (Balling) Part C, with BRS two part too.
You dose TM Part C, matching the lowest dose of your cal or alk, but it maybe better for ion stability (keeping your alk and cal doses even) than adding additional trace elements.

Yes, I looked at that too. But from what I understand (and Randy Holmes Farley here posted about it) it doesn't really do much of anything to actually replenish those. I don't remember the details, but I was looking into it and decided it's not a good option at all.
--Kyle

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I looked at that too. But from what I understand (and Randy Holmes Farley here posted about it) it doesn't really do much of anything to actually replenish those. I don't remember the details, but I was looking into it and decided it's not a good option at all.
--Kyle

That is true.
The third part of full balling is more for keeping your ions in balance over the long haul, than the additional trace elements for color.

I have seen it to used bring BRS 2 part dosing to even doses over time.

I used Aqua Forest full balling (when it first hit the US) and it was better than any two part + mag in coral colors that I ever used, without adding any additional trace elements. So there could be some benefit in the third part for colors too.

Wish you all the best with FM!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Aqua Forest full balling (when it first hit the US) and it was better than any two part + mag in coral colors that I ever used, without adding any additional trace elements. So there could be some benefit in the third part for colors too.

Wish you all the best with FM!!

Thank you. Not sure yet if I'll use FM or not. But it seems like a good option if it can simply be added to my Ca and Alk dosing (and doesn't cost a lot). I want to keep this hobby reasonably priced, and Red Sea Trace alone isn't terrible, but it all adds up! If FM is close, that may have to be good enough...

Also Aquaforest looked good too, but would get really pricey to do my dosing that way.

Have you used Aquaforest amino acids and "Energy?" It looks about the same as Red Sea Energy A & B, but again, at a much lower cost. :) So I'm considering that as well. Cheers,
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have used the kent with weekly water changes for 10 years. I will attest to the fact it is better than using nothing. I was about to make a post identical to yours asking the same question.
What trace element package to use with BRS bulk dosing chemicals?
I kind of assumed there would be something commonly used. Looks very complicated.

Agreed that the Kent product would certainly be better than nothing!
Also agreed that there should be something simpler and not so complicated! Look at that Fauna Marin video from BRS I linked to above. It might be worth a try. Not as cheap as Kent, but not too pricey either. Regardless, it does seem important that we figure out some way to maintain trace elements at healthy levels... Good luck,
--Kyle

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back