Trace elements mix with Soda Ash

Fuzzywuzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix Fauna Marin's balling light trace 3, or Tropic Marin's A- or K+ trace elements to a soda ash solution?

This will allow me to dose trace elements without having a discrete dosing pump.

From what I can find online the Fauna Marin Trace 3 was meant to be mixed with the FM carbonate mix (which I understand to be Sodium Bicarbonate). If the FM trace 3 (seems to be made from "Potassium, Sodium Fluor, Iodine, Bromine, stabilizers. Based on inorganic compounds.") were to be mixed with soda ash (which has a far higher pH), will there be adverse reactions/precipitation such that the resultant mix would be ineffective?

Ditto for the Tropic Marin A- or K+ mixes (iirc BRSTv advocated mixing A- with soda ash).

if so, how do I adapt the dosage for the FM trace 3 meant for sodium bicarbonate to soda ash (i.e. if someone used to use 5g of Bicarbonate powder equivalent per day, how many g of soda ash would yield the same kH boost?)

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't that not allow you to control each parameter?

OP
OP
F

Fuzzywuzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't that not allow you to control each parameter?
Yea I'm not concerned with controlling the trace elements itself, given they are in such small quantities.

I'm only aiming to (a) ensure their sufficient availability until the next water change (which I don't hope to do too often); and (b) save the need for more dosing heads.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose them so I'm not an expert on the subject. However I'd want to test for anything added.

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure can. Look into BRS' AKC solution--they are adding the trace elements into BRS pharma.

Play with the BRS calculators to do the conversion from soda ash to baking soda.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share some information that @Lou Ekus shared with me.

TM A- and K+ can't be mixed together or mixed in an alkaline solution.

However, they can be mixed together in the AFR formula. Something to do with Carbocalcium (Calcium Formate) and heavy dilution.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM A and K are the BRS hybrid method. I am using A in my soda ash and K in my calcium chloride. works well.
BRS website explains the dosing well.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix Fauna Marin's balling light trace 3, or Tropic Marin's A- or K+ trace elements to a soda ash solution?

This will allow me to dose trace elements without having a discrete dosing pump.

From what I can find online the Fauna Marin Trace 3 was meant to be mixed with the FM carbonate mix (which I understand to be Sodium Bicarbonate). If the FM trace 3 (seems to be made from "Potassium, Sodium Fluor, Iodine, Bromine, stabilizers. Based on inorganic compounds.") were to be mixed with soda ash (which has a far higher pH), will there be adverse reactions/precipitation such that the resultant mix would be ineffective?

Ditto for the Tropic Marin A- or K+ mixes (iirc BRSTv advocated mixing A- with soda ash).

if so, how do I adapt the dosage for the FM trace 3 meant for sodium bicarbonate to soda ash (i.e. if someone used to use 5g of Bicarbonate powder equivalent per day, how many g of soda ash would yield the same kH boost?)

Thanks!
HI. The Trace 3 Elements are specialy made to add to the carbonate, so you can use them, The ammount Of dosing we just give you an answer in our Fauna Marin Sponsor Bord

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back