Trace Elements

merrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone please take the time to answer what trace elements do you dose and why?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May depend largely on the system.
For me, I need to dose phosphate or my corals lose PE and colour.
All else comes from my water changes.

Upvote 0

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I messed with Red Sea A-D for a bit 2 years back in my SPS tank trying to solve a problem that didn’t really exist (some low trace elements per ICP). Couldn’t test trace frequently enough to dial them in though and overdosed iron and created more issues than I solved. Now I just rely on my AWC and CaRx to do the job, occasionally dose phosphate or nitrate when needed but rarely.

Upvote 0

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give you my experience. Of course, every tank is different.

I keep a mixed reef. Softies, LPS and SPS. When my tank's demand for Alk and Cal became pretty darned significant, I started to wonder about trace. Sure I could replenish with water changes, but if my Alk/Cal demand was dramatically outpacing what was replaced with water changes alone(autodosing), what about trace elements?

Then I started to get some die off. Most effected were my zoas, birds nest, and oddly enough, my Hollywood stunner chalice and green slimer (supposedly bulletproof).

I decided to start dosing Red Sea Trace A/B/C/D. I went with a daily dose at 2/3 the recommended dose for Cal consumption. The effect was immediate and dramatic. All of my corals colored up. Polyp extension was amazing. These guys were hungry. Coral growth was visibly increased. And the corals that were struggling recovered and thrived.

Since then, I've kept the same dosing schedule. I don't worry if I miss a day or two, and the corals don't seem to mind.

I'm sure you will get other viewpoints, but in my experience dosing trace when you have a significant Alk/Cal demand can have a very possitive affect.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

merrick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give you my experience. Of course, every tank is different.

I keep a mixed reef. Softies, LPS and SPS. When my tank's demand for Alk and Cal became pretty darned significant, I started to wonder about trace. Sure I could replenish with water changes, but if my Alk/Cal demand was dramatically outpacing what was replaced with water changes alone(autodosing), what about trace elements?

Then I started to get some die off. Most effected were my zoas, birds nest, and oddly enough, my Hollywood stunner chalice and green slimer (supposedly bulletproof).

I decided to start dosing Red Sea Trace A/B/C/D. I went with a daily dose at 2/3 the recommended dose for Cal consumption. The effect was immediate and dramatic. All of my corals colored up. Polyp extension was amazing. These guys were hungry. Coral growth was visibly increased. And the corals that were struggling recovered and thrived.

Since then, I've kept the same dosing schedule. I don't worry if I miss a day or two, and the corals don't seem to mind.

I'm sure you will get other viewpoints, but in my experience dosing trace when you have a significant Alk/Cal demand can have a very possitive affect.
Thank you for your time and your experience is helpful

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back