Trace Elements

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that covered. No LED's but I have 6X 54w Blue Plus T5 Bulbs that run 5 hours of the 12 hour photo period @ 100% and 2X 54w Actinic T5 Bulbs that run for 8 hours @ 100%. All bulbs are less than 5 months old. Let me clarify my question...

For you SPS guys and I guess TM All-for-Reef users... If I'm using All-for-Reef, can/should I add other trace elements (maybe TM K/A or something else) or does the All-for-Reef supply enough as long as it maintains alk, ca, & mg?

All for Reef has a good balance of the major/minor elements.

BUT... After a lot of us long time AFR users noticed that Iodine was consistently low on ICP tests (along with a few other things to varying degrees), Hans suggested an alternate recipe of AFR. The standard mix contains all of the TM A- and K+ elements. Hans suggested adding an additional 50ml of A- elements to every 1L of mixed AFR. That provides more iodine (as well as the other elements in the A- mix).

TM started including more A- elements by default, but I'm not sure that "new recipe" AFR is available here in the States yet.

What I do is mix up the "new recipe" AFR, and then send in quarterly ICP tests and use the Red Sea Trace Color kit to adjust anything I'm lacking. Since boosting the A- elements, I haven't had to do much else, though.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for Reef has a good balance of the major/minor elements.

BUT... After a lot of us long time AFR users noticed that Iodine was consistently low on ICP tests (along with a few other things to varying degrees), Hans suggested an alternate recipe of AFR. The standard mix contains all of the TM A- and K+ elements. Hans suggested adding an additional 50ml of A- elements to every 1L of mixed AFR. That provides more iodine (as well as the other elements in the A- mix).

TM started including more A- elements by default, but I'm not sure that "new recipe" AFR is available here in the States yet.

What I do is mix up the "new recipe" AFR, and then send in quarterly ICP tests and use the Red Sea Trace Color kit to adjust anything I'm lacking. Since boosting the A- elements, I haven't had to do much else, though.
Thank you so much. Your (& Hans) suggestion squares with my experience where iodine is concerned. I'll start adding some A- elements when I mix up new AFR. Can I add the A- elements directly to the newly mixed AFR?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Your (& Hans) suggestion squares with my experience where iodine is concerned. I'll start adding some A- elements when I mix up new AFR. Can I add the A- elements directly to the newly mixed AFR?

Yep. Mix up 1L of AFR like you normally would, then just dump an additional 50mL of A- in it.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also been a long time user of AFR and a recent ICP test showed the only things lacking were iodine and manganese. Two elements that often low or missing in reef systems and are essential for all biological systems.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who is interested, Hans said this about the "new recipe" AFR and how to tell if you have the new (higher A- elements) or old.

For the premixed liquid:

At least in USA it is the ALL-FOR-REEF in the new white bottles with the dosing cap.

There may be a slight overlap with the old bottles elsewhere but in general the All-For-Reef with higher iodide concentration is in the round white bottles.

And for the powdered version:

The batch numbers 141.. or higher for the first three of the five numbers. I think for USA it is mainly batches starting with 2....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back