Trace Elements

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm dosing All-for-Reef in my 90 mixed reef that is rapidly becoming SPS dominate. So, alk is stable @ 8.0 to 8.3 dkh, SPS growth is good, and, since I started All-for-Reef, color is improving. I believe the color improvement is due to trace elements in the All-for-Reef. I still think it could be better. So... I do weekly-ish 10% water changes with Red Sea Blue Top Salt and add 30 ml of Reef Energy AB+ per week. Are there other trace elements or supplements I should dose to improve SPS color? Thanks.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your trace levels via ICP test recently?
My "old-school " might be showing here, but... I'm interested in identifying some of the trace elements & supplements people that are successful with SPS corals dose, particularly people using All-for-Reef, and then trying some and letting my eyes tell me what is right.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "old-school " might be showing here, but... I'm interested in identifying some of the trace elements & supplements people that are successful with SPS corals dose, particularly people using All-for-Reef, and then trying some and letting my eyes tell me what is right.
Well I'm sure with your experience that probably works fine and saves money but trace can be tricky. If you are doing weekly water changes then technically you are replenishing trace each week and shouldn't need to dose them only the big 3. I dose Red Sea 4 part once a week except on the week I do my water change. ICP showed pretty balanced parameters across the spectrum doing this.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trace is like the last piece of the puzzle and may not be what’s holding you back considering your weekly water changes and all for reef.

I would consider flow, running fairly high par, and detectable and stable nutrients.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trace is like the last piece of the puzzle and may not be what’s holding you back considering your weekly water changes and all for reef.

I would consider flow, running fairly high par, and detectable and stable nutrients.
Actually, I'm looking for the next piece. I have adequate flow, 2X Fx350s Gyre and an MP 40... N is @ 2-5 ppm, P stays around .05 to .08 ppm... I have an 8X 54w ATI Sunpower with good bulbs... Parameters are stable with Alk @ 8.0 to 8.3 dKH, Ca @ 400-420, and Mg @ 1300-1340. I get really great growth, polyp extension, and ok color. I recently changed to All-for-Reef and noticed an increase in color of my SPS. I believe that is due to the trace elements in the All-for-Reef. That got me wondering if I am short on specific trace elements & though I'd ask the SPS Guru's here at RC what they added.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're short on blue LEDs.
I have that covered. No LED's but I have 6X 54w Blue Plus T5 Bulbs that run 5 hours of the 12 hour photo period @ 100% and 2X 54w Actinic T5 Bulbs that run for 8 hours @ 100%. All bulbs are less than 5 months old. Let me clarify my question...

For you SPS guys and I guess TM All-for-Reef users... If I'm using All-for-Reef, can/should I add other trace elements (maybe TM K/A or something else) or does the All-for-Reef supply enough as long as it maintains alk, ca, & mg?

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are pretty much good to go. All for Reef has plenty of trace elements. There usage is tide to Calcium and carbonate usage, which the trace elements should cover. If you are missing anything it would truly be trace. The only way to test for that is by ICP and even Triton or ATI tests are only a minor guide. My tank has been running for over 8 years and I do regular weekly 10%, I use All for Reef and see no need to add anything else. The only things low on my recent ATI ICP test were Iodine and Manganese, and I add both in small amounts already. Iodine is used by lots of marine organisms, plants and animals, as is Manganese.

If it's not broke, don't fix it, is what I would say.

OP
OP
ReefGeezer

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are pretty much good to go. All for Reef has plenty of trace elements. There usage is tide to Calcium and carbonate usage, which the trace elements should cover. If you are missing anything it would truly be trace. The only way to test for that is by ICP and even Triton or ATI tests are only a minor guide. My tank has been running for over 8 years and I do regular weekly 10%, I use All for Reef and see no need to add anything else. The only things low on my recent ATI ICP test were Iodine and Manganese, and I add both in small amounts already. Iodine is used by lots of marine organisms, plants and animals, as is Manganese.

If it's not broke, don't fix it, is what I would say.
Thanks. Funny you should mention iodine. I add it now and then when my Zoas look a little off.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool, you’re obviously good at SPS and looking for some tweaks to maximize coloration.

I do reef moonshiners. You do a monthly ICP and adjust your trace elements accordingly, along with some elements dosed daily. That’s about as good as you can get within the limitations of ICP. I like it, but honestly don’t know if it’ll get you where you want to go.

I’m a big T5 fan and Run T5 LED hybrid, but actinic T5 does not do what blue LEDs do. A reef brite strip or two will make a big difference.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a water change in four years. I dose aminos and trace elements via my ATO. I do a Triton test every 9-12 months and make minor corrections based on the results. I dose My corals couldn't be happier.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do once a week water changes with Reef Crystals...I dose about twice a week with Red Sea ABCD Trace Colors and Reef Complete for Calcium...I know many people say...it's not necessary if you are doing water changes, but it has greatly improved my coral health and tank is doing awesome so far since doing this.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I also dose Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide), A&H washing soda (sodium carbonate) and Randy's Mg recipe (Epsom and Mag Chloride ice melt).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're into trace elements, then you may want to look into Reef Moonshiners. I don't consider it a method, but adding daily additions and doing monthly corrections seems to work for everyone using it.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much All for reef you dosing on 90 gallon?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept it simple. Add mg to supplement my AFR (common) and started adding iodide and replenish trace elements. I do weekly wcs with natural seawater on my 30 mixed reef. The first response adding 2.5 trace and 1 ml of iodide was amazing. Colors and fluff from Lps, Sps and softies....within 24 hours. My red digi, pink cyphastrea, purple stylocoenellas, and purple ricordea show the biggest color boost. Coincidence? Or red and purple corals like iodide and or trace elements? I am going to try weekly with much smaller doses and keep an eye on things.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly wcs with natural seawater on my 30 mixed reef.

have you performed an icp on this natural seawater?

That may be interesting. I believe you may find levels lower across the board compared to what some reef keepers strive to keep.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you performed an icp on this natural seawater?

That may be interesting. I believe you may find levels lower across the board compared to what some reef keepers strive to keep.
I haven't tested my seawater jug for anything other than DkH, which is 7.6, but that was my thought exactly. It seems counterintuitive to do a water change then dose trace elements immediately after but that may be my best bet. Regardless, I am going to keep dosing iodide and trace.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up....yes, natural seawater is lower in trace elements than synthetic sea salt mixes

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back