Transfer cycled tank to a new RedSea 170

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. so a few weeks ago we fell in love with Red Sea and decided to go for the 170 since we live in a 3rd floor apartment. Back home ( which is 15 mins away) we have our tank which is a cheap aqueous 55 gallons (and canister filter) with real live rock ( some inverts like emerald crabs, pistol shrimps, feather dusters, brittle star that came inside the rocks we bought) 2 clown fish, two cardinal and a very small yellow tang, 5 corals and also sand.
The tank arrives on Friday , and we going to the LFS to buy more water. so here is my question. will the tank needs to cycle again or can I just transfer everything to the new tank the same day?
any help will be appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its easy to skip cycles totally nowadays. read this thread if you want to do it perfectly.

*its 33 pages lol, so to condense down to 25 mins that w save your tank, read all of post 1

and then skip to last 2 pages, read all links.

every job in this thread is your job in some manner:

your issue is one of how to not move detritus in the rocks or sand over to the new tank, that's specifically what we practice over and over there.

take pics

don't buy bottled bacteria, we use real skip cycle science to earn our skip cycles. post your updated work on the last page pls so a thousand people can apply it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited in above. read just first post 1 in that link then skip last two pages for sure that w capture your job coming up

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for sure and we really want your updated work details, this surgery is worth thousands of dollars literally/not killing stuff, then add in the pet factor and we're dealing in priceless disassembly and reassembly techniques.

there is indeed 5 or ten ways to move reefs, but we think there's only 1 way which works 100% of the time~thats cloudless transfer of rocks and sand.

whats fascinating is its the exact same steps whether we disassemble to upgrade, move, rip out cyano or diatoms, its all the same move set. you are either re assembling it back in the same space it was, or a heckuva lateral move lol but same assembly steps tank to tank, job to job, all the same.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*right when they're all at the takedown stage: corals in buckets, rocks in other buckets, fish in buckets that's when we move to new place. the reassembly steps and full bed pre rinse, whether new or old sand using tap water specifically, happens before setup at the new place.

OP
OP
mariano

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @brandon429 im Currently reading your thread ( im actually reading everything because is really interesting, but I need clarification, when you say "***Rinse your sandbed using a garden hose and buckets outside until the water is perfectly, not partially, cloud free" do I rinse it with just regular tap water ?
by the way, this is the sand we bought when we first got the tank. but is im understanding by reading the thread, we should clean it before moving it to the new tank to get rid of all the detritus in the sand.

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.07.12 PM.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% yes that’s the sand I have too, it rinses clean after some work using tap. Forget the included packet, pre rinse.

*the clouding we see in reefs using that sand takes two forms: out of the bag, there’s no animal waste. That’s silt- broken down sand fraction that we initially rinse

That sand doesn’t produce nitrate it’s neutral...its sand + their proprietary bac mix (just like everyone has their brand of bottle bac, they‘ve added it to the bag)

rinsing in tap doesn’t sterilize sand. A lab tech or a clinician cannot sterilize a steel table by wiping it down with tap water, no biofilm is cut by tap water and a paper towel...we make use of real world microbiology to start clean. The hobby thinks tap water is the universal sterilizer (but not hobbyists who are clinicians)

the initial clouding is only silt (which fuels early diatoms, we are starting clean) but after two years it’s silt+ animal waste portion mixed

every tank in that thread is responding to clouding in only those two forms, pretty neat pattern.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 69 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back