Transfer of frags from one AIO to another.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to frag a mixed reef and use some of the frags to start my new tank. On the old tank I battled dinos, and green hair algae until I beat them back to an "acceptable level" that I could deal with. Now that I am moving to a new tank,

What is the best course of action for movieg frags and avoiding all of the common nuisance issues being introduced? Is there a special process for snails and hermits?

I'll be moving pieces from this tank. It has been running for 6 years. 4.5 fish only and 1.5 mixed reef
PXL_20230411_111948009.jpg

Forgive my dirty glass.

I'm considering stripping the sand and and rock out zapping the tank with fluconazole, then dosing peroxide and running it as a bare frag tank while the frags heal.

Once healed, spectracide dip, remove from plugs, and introduce to newly cycled system?

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't stop them from coming over. Hair algae and dinos are pretty much in every tank to some degree or another. Hermit and snail shells can be scrubbed (maybe with a careful bit of peroxide).

Repfarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the hydrogen peroxide (3%). You can dilute it even more with water to make a dip for the coral. The bases I use 3% with a soft brush. The corals I use 1% for a quick dip. Kills the algae on their surface is my reasoning. I also use this for cyano outbreaks to keep them from getting smothered by the cyano (does not cure cyano in tank, just gets it off the corals so they can photosynthesis again while the tank is overcoming). I keep macro algaes also, I use it on them to get the cyano off too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back