Transferring established rock to new system

  • Thread starter Thread starter MikeReefs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MikeReefs

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2025
Messages
555
Reaction score
534
Location
NEW YORK
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the next coming weeks I plan on moving everything from my 2+ year old nano into my new larger system that’s been running for 3 months.

I delt with small cell Dino’s in my nano and beat them half a year ago what followed was some GHA. Which I’m happy with as my cuc are constantly fed and keep it well under control.

My question is will transferring my estimated rock add GHA to my current tank or will it trigger the growth of something new or my old Dino’s. Would like to hear from anyone with experience with this
 
I'd just put the mature rock in the sump, that would give you the least likelihood of introducing anything you don't want into the display while still enjoying the benefit of the mature media.
 
I'd just put the mature rock in the sump, that would give you the least likelihood of introducing anything you don't want into the display while still enjoying the benefit of the mature media.
I’ll take that route and leave it in there for some time to get the microfauna to develop the tank. The rock is pretty much pest free. Started out dry and was seeded with AF life source over the years. keeping it in the dark sump will definitely kill the GHA but once I put it into the system will the Dino’s I once beat/outcompeted emerge. Or am I just overthinking this lol
 
I think dinos can show up no matter what method you use to start your tank. I wouldn't sweat it, honestly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new