Transferring Zoas to a new tank.

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of transferring my live stock to a new tank which is fully cycled. At what point can I transfer my Zoas over? I have a rock where I have a Zoa colony and a medium sized GSP in there. I was trying to transfer them last, but I’m having to remove all my rock cause my fish are getting pretty hard to catch. Can I transfer them over now before fish are introduced. I also have rock from the old tank in the sump as well.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't put the old sand in the new tank...the live rock from the old tank should be fine. It's just like doing a 100%water change. All your bacteria is in the rock. Unwashed, the old sand being disturbed could cause a mini cycle unless washed a million times until water is clear. Assuming you have sand. Have you added all the other live rock to the new tank?

OP
OP
Reaper_Six_Four

Reaper_Six_Four

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don't put the old sand in the new tank...the live rock from the old tank should be fine. It's just like doing a 100%water change. All your bacteria is in the rock. Unwashed, the old sand being disturbed could cause a mini cycle unless washed a million times until water is clear. Assuming you have sand. Have you added all the other live rock to the new tank?
Yes, I have added other live rock and all my cycle parameters are good to go. I used new live sand as well ~1.5” sand bed.

so it sounds like I can transfer my corals over then.
Thanks for the advice.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be just fine. I set up a 20 gallon long with 20 lbs of rock from my display and put my zoa frag racks in the same day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back