Translucent tips after signs of growth

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

Besides Alk swings, what are some reasons SPS corals can get translucent tips after signs of growth?

My 200g (160g display and 40g sump) has been up for 1 year and 8 months now. Some of my SPS higher in the tank are having this issue and I am not able to find the root cause.

Here are my current numbers:

Alk: 8.1
Ca: 410
NO3: 2
PO4: .03
Mg: 1400
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.1 to 8.4 depending on the time

Dosing ESV B-Ionic throughout the day using Neptune DOS.

10% weekly water change using Tropic Marin Pro.

Running four Radion XR30w G4 Pros at 50% using RMS mounts which have not been changed since first setting up the tank.

Waiting for results of another Triton ICP and N-DOC tests. Did it three months ago and nothing out of the ordinary showed up except low iodine.

Started using Coral Vitalizer and Amino Acid Concentrate from Korallen-Zucht 12 days ago to see if it will help. So far I’m just seeing more polyp extension from most of my SPS, LPS, and soft corals.

Last edited:

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe in more detail how they are translucent? Not sure I have ever seen a translucent acro. Is there still living tissue on the tips?

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe in more detail how they are translucent? Not sure I have ever seen a translucent acro. Is there still living tissue on the tips?

Almost seems like see through. Like a hollow skeleton.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds weird, have any pics? Could just be the new growth. I have a lot of corals where the tissue is sort of translucent on new growth, but I wouldn't consider the coral translucent, because I can't see past the actual hard skeleton.

Here's an example where the tissue looks somewhat translucent. The cause of this for me is extremely low nutrients, and really high par
IMG_5982.jpeg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fast growing acroporas look like that when doing well. The tips grow faster than the zoozanthellae can populate the tissue. 100% normal, and a good sign.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fast growing acroporas look like that when doing well. The tips grow faster than the zoozanthellae can populate the tissue. 100% normal, and a good sign.

That was my hope. First I saw white tips and then it looked translucent. About a week later, algae started growing on it. I did a Triton N-DOC and ICP test. Only three issue they pointed out which I am correcting now. Not sure if they are the cause.

Low Magnesium. 1313 ppm
Low Potassium. 362 ppm
No Iodine.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If algae is growing on it than that’s a whole different story. That’s definitely bad.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back