Transparent Caulerpa Prolifera??

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my calupera prolifera going transparent:loudly-crying-face:? I only put it in on saturday.
Tests were fine on sunday. I dont have exact numbers at the moment, but from memory ph-8.2, kh-3.5ish meq/l, nitrates and nitrites-0, salinity-37 (I know :downcast-face-with-sweat: ) and phos-0.3. I had a phosphate spike a bit ago and my old calupera prolifera disintegrated. I dont dose anything.
7 month old tank and only occupant is a nassarius snail.

IMG20240130214352.jpg IMG20240130214414.jpg IMG20240130214417.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my calupera prolifera going transparent:loudly-crying-face:? I only put it in on saturday.
Tests were fine on sunday. I dont have exact numbers at the moment, but from memory ph-8.2, kh-3.5ish meq/l, nitrates and nitrites-0, salinity-37 (I know :downcast-face-with-sweat: ) and phos-0.3. I had a phosphate spike a bit ago and my old calupera prolifera disintegrated. I dont dose anything.

IMG20240130214352.jpg IMG20240130214414.jpg IMG20240130214417.jpg
Couple things.

Algae need inorganic nitrogen and phosphorous to survive. Yours do not have this and might be dying. The other possibility is that it is reproducing. Some algae release the entire contents of the frond along with the reproductive cells.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things.

Algae need inorganic nitrogen and phosphorous to survive. Yours do not have this and might be dying. The other possibility is that it is reproducing. Some algae release the entire contents of the frond along with the reproductive cells.
Thank you!

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

As mentioned above, algae need nitrogen and phosphorous to survive, I like to keep my nitrate around 5ppm-10ppm and phosphate around 0.05ppm-0.15ppm (via hanna HR nitrate & ULR phosphate checkers), my corals like this as well.

My calupera prolifera gets random clear tips on some of the blades, they usually break off, it’s pretty normal and nothing to worry about.

If it all goes clear then there is most likely a problem.

It sounds like it may be time for you to add a fish or two.

If you can’t seem to raise your nutrients with more feeding, sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate dosing via randy Holmes-farley diy recipes work great. (Loudwold on amazon is a good brand)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back