Transporting a 210 Gallon Aquarium

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to do a bit of an upgrade once I figure out the logistics of setting up a giant tank. Well, not giant by aquarium standards, but giant by mine.

Only place to buy one is 300km away, over a couple mountain passes, no delivery available. From there it's down a ramp and straight into my basement, through two wide doorways to its final resting place. I understand that tanks this size weigh several hundred kilograms dry, requires at least 4 strong people to move.

I'm picturing in my head that it's almost not worth the effort and I should instead get something smaller, like a 125 or 150.

Who here has moved and transported large tanks like this, and how easy/difficult was it?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get your 210. There are plenty of local reefers who’ll happily help you out in exchange for some pizza.

Not in my parts. In my town of ~5000 people, I only know of one other reefer, and he's the one that got me into the hobby. Once I got it to my house, I'm sure it would be pretty easy relatively speaking to get inside. It's more so the journey from the store to here I am worried about. A tank of that size and value in the back of a truck on the highways.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Not in my parts. In my town of ~5000 people, I only know of one other reefer, and he's the one that got me into the hobby. Once I got it to my house, I'm sure it would be pretty easy relatively speaking to get inside. It's more so the journey from the store to here I am worried about. A tank of that size and value in the back of a truck on the highways.
I’ve helped people here in san diego move tanks upwards of 240 gallons and transport them on our rough roads and crazy freeways. It was probably the least scary part of the move. Going up or down stairs is the worst.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking of renting transportation, for example a truck, trailer, van?

Where are you located?

I sure, with a little more information we can get you a plan to get you tank home.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking of renting transportation, for example a truck, trailer, van?

Where are you located?

I sure, with a little more information we can get you a plan to get you tank home.

I have access to a truck. I live in a little town called Merritt, buying the tank from J&l Aquatics in Burnaby.

Fortunately no stairs. My driveway ends in a ramp down to my basement doors. Steep-ish, could probably even back the truck down it, though then you're offloading that weight on a slope. Probably better to hand bomb it down. Total distance of maybe 30 meters.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat it. Just make sure the tank is going to fit in the truck bed or whatever you use. And if it's a 6' by either marineland or aqueon it will fit in an f150 bed with the tailgate up.

Couple of straps to stop sliding and some moving blankets.

Now go get that tank!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking you should find a couple of palate mats to rest the tank on in the back of the truck, the mats will pad and absorb bumbs in the road. I would also suggest have some tie down straps here is an example link. a couple of wood 2x4's to lessen and even out the pull of the straps. Not to tight but snug.

Get or borrow 4 of these suction cup glass lifter link. they make it so much simpler to lift and move tanks, large objects, glass, granite slabs, etc

Get or borrow two movers dolly's link and you should not have a problem even with the ramp. If you have step to deal will use plywood with removable concrete screws. Take it apart and patch the holes afterwards. No one will ever know but you :)

I think we worry about what if, instead of making a mess and clean up after we are finished. It has been one of the things that I have learn in the past few years. I am trying to think of how to explain my last thought. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tips on that equipment. Even if I have to buy it all, I'm sure it will come in handy for future uses too. Thanks.

I think I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I can make this work. I've got plenty of time to figure it all out. It's a couple months away at least, but I'd like to have everything figured out prior, rather than bumbling my way through it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back