Transporting a tank

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point in the next month or two, I will have to pick up my small-ish custom made tank from about 90 mins away. According to a tank calculator, it will weight about 185 pounds. It's 1/2" glass, 48 x 30 x 17 tall. So, not especially large at 106 gallons.

I guess I can manhandle the thing with lifting straps and / or suction cups, it's got to go through a Bilco door and down 10 step to the basement.

But how to transport it?

The thing is being handed to me with nothing but plastic shrink wrap. No pallet. I suppose it would be easy enough for me to nail some 2x4s to a piece of plywood if necessary. Then that could go into the back of an SUV or pickup truck.

Should that structure have any kind of padding underneath? I was thinking I would set it down on 5 or 6 foam pool noodles for cushioning, then strap it down.

So, whaddya think? Is my home made 'pallet' even necessary? It will add weight. Am I over-complicating it?

Happy to hear thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have driven tanks a few times, largest was 75 g. I just put some moving pads underneath and around to protect it and go. In my head anyway you are more likely to get in trouble w it getting bounced by a pothole than anything else and I’m not sure a palate would help w that

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have driven tanks a few times, largest was 75 g. I just put some moving pads underneath and around to protect it and go. In my head anyway you are more likely to get in trouble w it getting bounced by a pothole than anything else and I’m not sure a palate would help w that
Yeah, a bounce is the worry. I think the pool noodles will add plenty of cushioning. But I've never done this before... that's why I'm looking for input.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back