Transporting Coral a few hours home from expo...advice?

BoxInSox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going to ReefAPalooza soon, and want to know the best way to transport any purchases back home.

Traveling by car, so am wondering if I should bring a cooler or something like that. I will have a 3-4 hour drive home.

Additionally, I will be there for two days, and may buy some the day before and so have to keep overnight in car/hotel. Any advice on whether this is OK and how to go about it, or if it would be better to just make all purchases on the 2nd day?

FYI, I will mainly target LPS, but may include some SPS and Softies.

thanks!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Cooler with a heat pack. Lots of vendors will also hold onto corals until the 2nd day for pickup if you buy them the 1st day.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you’re staying overnight, you can fill a bucket/cooler with tap water at the hotel and float the coral bags in it. Add a heater to the bucket and you’ll keep all the bags at 76-78. For the ride home, you can just put the bags in a cooler in the car with you. They’ll be fine for 3-4 hours even without a heat pack

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are safe for sure for 2 days without light and temps above 60. If you can bring some heat packs or ice packs depending on weather etc and a cooler that works great. No need to add water to cooler as then takes longer to change the ambient temp in the bags themselves. You can get thermometer with probe to put in cooler so you know its temp and keep in the 70's. We have actually let them sit on table close to window without direct sun light and set room temp while we are away to 80 and they get some light and stay warm enough and are perfectly fine as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back