Transporting Corals in airline carry on baggage

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am flying out of town and was wondering what the rules are for bring some coral frags in my carry on bag. Will the airline allow me to do it? Will they stop me at security? I was hoping to transport some frags to my friend. It is a US domestic flight.

anyone have experience doing this?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 4 oz of water is the limit for carry ons, I suppose security might over look it with live animals in it but it sounds like an expensive gamble to me.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 4 oz of water is the limit for carry ons, I suppose security might over look it with live animals in it but it sounds like an expensive gamble to me.
In other times it would not be a problem. I once took a leopard shark in a box filled with water on an international flight out of the US. The guys at the checkpoint just laughed when it went through x-ray. Now, those 3oz limits will make it very difficult!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at how chaosaquatics ships. They use 2 oz plastic shot glasses turned upside down with the coral protected by the cup. There is a very minimal amount of water this way. But obviously will only work for small frags.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello. I am flying out of town and was wondering what the rules are for bring some coral frags in my carry on bag. Will the airline allow me to do it? Will they stop me at security? I was hoping to transport some frags to my friend. It is a US domestic flight.

anyone have experience doing this?
TSA actually has an exclusion for this because they don’t want you checking it. Basically it needs to be in a clear container and TSA can inspect it. The problem is, most TSA people (at least that I’ve encountered) don’t know this rule. They will see it and require you to stay under the oz limit. Since they have final say, this is what you have to do.

I tried to find the TSA page for this, it’s in the same part that talks about live lobster.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read many times that you can take corals with you on the plane because they're a living animal. But yeah, like GK3 said, most TSA staff don't know about it. So, go to the TSA website and try to find their live animal policy or something like that, and print it out to take with you.

That way it's easier to argue your point.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this on tsa website

Screenshot_20210722-232411_Chrome.jpg

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought coral frags in a container I bought from The Aquarium King in Fort Lauderdale. It has 12 frag frag rack in it and it came with papers for TSA. They looked at it at checkpoint and let me through. Just make sure you have it out when you go through screening and let them know.. I also brought a Fench Angel in a bag also. I will post a pic after I get home from work of it. Easy Peasey

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never taken any frags on a plane but it seem like reading on r2r over the years it is really what ever the TSA agent want to do on that day.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you don't forget to print out the TSA web page that was posted a few replies back to show the TSA agents!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back