Transporting Corals Overnight

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefing102
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefing102

#BattleCrew
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2021
Messages
5,267
Reaction score
7,761
Location
Central Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m currently on vacation in Virginia. There’s a Petco that has a nice size indo hammer that they very nicely put on hold for me. I live in Ohio. It’s about a 10-11 hour drive (with stops) back to Ohio. I plan on leaving early Sunday morning, and was thinking, if possible, buying it Saturday night. What would be the best way to make sure this will survive the overnight plus the drive? Petco doesn’t bag with anything but the open air (edit: and water), so what would be the best bet? Take it to the hotel, open the bag for overnight, reclose the bag the morning of and drive? Or any other thoughts? I have a styrofoam box, but that’s about it.
 
Last edited:
The only issue I see is not having water in the bag with the frag. It would need water so that it doesn't dry out.
 
Haha you got me. Okay they do put water lol but they don’t use like bottled oxygen (I think that’s what it is) to fill the air in the bag
 
Without a light cycle these animals pretty much shut down to minimal respiration. Maintain temp best you can. Keep it dark.

When you get home, temp acclimate if necessary. Drip if salinity is off. Keep lights super soft.
 
I can definitely keep it dark. The hotel room is set to 75 so I think that should be okay, and the car is usually set to 72-74. Will definitely do a careful acclimation. Thanks!
 
Alright, so just got back home. Everyone appears to have survived my erratic driving . Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ll get a few pics in a new RD thread soon
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new