Trapping Copepods

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas to catch copepods to move from one tank to another.

I have a little nano reef (Evo 13.5) that is around 3 years old. Started from live rock/sand via Biota. It has a massive population of copepods.

A few months ago I started a 65 gallon AIO. Have seeded with AlgaeBarn pods and feeding photo daily. That said, there are so many pods on the nano it would be nice if there was an easy way to catch them and move some to the bigger tank.

Looking for ideas on how to catch pods in an established reef for transfer to another tank. Thanks!

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pod hotel put it in the nano for a little while the empty the hotel into the 65

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for ideas to catch copepods to move from one tank to another.

I have a little nano reef (Evo 13.5) that is around 3 years old. Started from live rock/sand via Biota. It has a massive population of copepods.

A few months ago I started a 65 gallon AIO. Have seeded with AlgaeBarn pods and feeding photo daily. That said, there are so many pods on the nano it would be nice if there was an easy way to catch them and move some to the bigger tank.

Looking for ideas on how to catch pods in an established reef for transfer to another tank. Thanks!
Amazon has a scoop with 200 micron sieve. You just take the sieve and scoop across the top of the breeding tank to pick up the little critters from the breeding tank, rinse with fresh saltwater and then add them to my tank and sump. There is also a 53 micron filter/pvc pipe that I use when I clean the tank monthly. Use siphon tubing to flow water from the breeding tank into another bucket, catching the rotifers and coepods via the very fine mesh sieve (see pics - both purchased on Amazon). I also grow my own plankton which I add to the breeding tank every two days. I keep my phyto tank medium green for best results. I find the coepods breed best at 80 degrees. Note, I learned not to keep two different kinds of coepods together. The larger eat the smaller. Keep the Tiger (larger for fish) and Tispe(for corals) separate. Hope this helps.

coepod sieve - scoop.jpg coepod strainer 53 micron.jpg

Last edited:

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generations ago, which is not the long ago for copepods, there was the story told of a copepod who was good and honorable. At the LFS, which is wicked, the good copepod was called upon by the Great Scooper, who gives life to the world about once per week but the taketh away, in body bags, to go forth to another tank. The great beast of the sea, called in the ancient tongue a Royal Gramma, swallowed the good copepod whole, who did live within the beast until reaching the new tank, upon which time the new Lesser Scooper released the great beast, who succumbed to the wickedness of the new tank and did floateth. From which, emerged the good and honorable copepod.

I mean, you could try the net thing or the hotel, but I like beautiful stories.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back