Treating bacterial or fungal infection without meds

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone developed a protocol for treating bacterial for fungal infections without meds? I've had some type of outbreak in one of my tanks; my chalk bass developed popeye, which looked alarming, but subsided nicely on its own, but my CBB has a type of white, flaky, flat and platelike growth on its tail fin.

I only have access to Rally Pro. Aside from water changes and ensuring food is top notch, does anyone have any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Has anyone developed a protocol for treating bacterial for fungal infections without meds? I've had some type of outbreak in one of my tanks; my chalk bass developed popeye, which looked alarming, but subsided nicely on its own, but my CBB has a type of white, flaky, flat and platelike growth on its tail fin.

I only have access to Rally Pro. Aside from water changes and ensuring food is top notch, does anyone have any suggestions?
While it will take longer- Rally Pro will address bacterial and the eye which the eye can often correct itself. I know many try to avoid or find alternatives to quarantining but at times, its simply a must.
This is NOT a hobby where we succeed with bare minimums which often lead to undesirable results.

OP
OP
davidcalgary29

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it will take longer- Rally Pro will address bacterial and the eye which the eye can often correct itself. I know many try to avoid or find alternatives to quarantining but at times, its simply a must.
This is NOT a hobby where we succeed with bare minimums which often lead to undesirable results.
Well, yes -- that's a given. What I'm also looking for, though, is some type of treatment protocol for those of us who do not have legal access to antibacterials or fungicides. While I'm certainly happy to have Rally on hand -- access in Canada is very erratic -- it would nice to be able to try something else aside from water changes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well, yes -- that's a given. What I'm also looking for, though, is some type of treatment protocol for those of us who do not have legal access to antibacterials or fungicides. While I'm certainly happy to have Rally on hand -- access in Canada is very erratic -- it would nice to be able to try something else aside from water changes.
Ahhh, Canada. Tes, I understand limitations which is a huge challenge. Only two I know of is Tank transfer method with some hydrogen peroxide for bacterial and there may be a product known as waterlife myxazin which also treats bacterial and brook.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - the whole issue is that many bacterial infections heal without any intervention other than stopping anything that caused the initial injury. Then, many things people call "infections" are actually just a reaction of the fish to some injury (mucus production for example). External fungal infections are really rare in marine fish (but common in FW).

The issues arise when a true bacterial infection begins to overwhelm the fish's innate immunity. I recently started a thread on that topic here:

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back