Treating Brown Jelly Disease Successfully

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI reefers.
Hope all well. Off late i had been losing my torch coral heads one after another. Despite fragging the frag head could not survive the slow decay and finally Brown jelly was Visible just before its last breath. I searched various Forum and also read how Antibiotics can help in killing Arcobacter responsible for BJD. Here is What I decided to undertake before loosing my first ever coral to disease.
Preparations
Step-1. Ensuring Water Parameters are OK and Stable.
Step 2. Ensuring No Other Toxicity is Present in reef to avoid likelihood of other variables in play.
Step-3. Dosing Enough bacteria and probiotics to ensure some healthy bacteria colony is present.
Step-4. Avoid Direct feeding Roids etc to Torch
Step-5. Ensure UV is Installed

Experiment
Step-1.
Arrange Kcl (Potassium Chloride ) and Iodine or Pyodine (10% Iodine) a Normal Wound Scrubber.
Take out 500ml in a can and put orch Coral in it. Add 3-5 Vials of Kcl and 5ml Pyodine over Torcha nd Stir.
Leave it for 15-30 Mins in Reef water Floating so Temp remains Stable.
Very Important to Strongly Rinse Torch Coral after few Minutes to blew Away and jelly Type White Substance emerging out of Torch.
SHift Torch to Another 500 ml Clean tank Water and Put Revive in it.
After 10-15 mins, Rinse and Put back the Torch.
Repeat This process daily for 3 Days. and Then let Torch Rest for 3-5 days.

Step-2. Antibiotics Treatment
Take a 500mg Ciprofloxacin and crush it and mix in 50 ml RODI water. Refrigerate it after good mixing.
Keep a capsule of Amoxillin Antibiotic
Vibrant being Algaecide
Revive ex TLF to heal if needed.
Take out Torch Coral in a 500 ml tank water and put 5ml of Cipro Solution and Rinse
Add a Pinch of Amoxillin Capsule and Mix in same water.
Put Few Drops of Vibrant and place it in reef floating to maintain temperature.
After 40-45 mins, Take out Torch and put it in other 500ml clean tank water and add revivce for 15 Mins.
Rinse and put Torch Coral back in Aquarium
Repeat 2nd and 3rd bath same way daily for next 2 days.
Give Rest of 2-3 days and Observe.
Give 4th and 5th bath with 2 days gap in between each bath.
Let Torch Rest.

Video Explanation and After Results: At my YouTube Channel" MQReef "

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a small Fascination-type favites that got what appeared to be brown jelly disease after a palytoxin poisoning incident. I wrote it off, stuck it in a cup of tank water, blew the jelly off it as an afterthought, and ignored it for a couple days.

When I looked back in and saw that it wasn't completely dead, I started blowing the jelly off it a couple times a day, sucking as much of the jelly out as I could at a time. The jelly stopped reappearing after a week or so, so I dipped the favites in dilute iodine and put it back in my tank, and it's since more than recovered.

Now, I know "put it in a pint cup of water and squirt it sometimes" is not how people normally fix BJD, and I have no evidence that this was actual BJD. But whatever was wrong, this worked. If it was BJD, the only thing I can think is that maybe being in cold water (high 60s at /most/) hindered the BJD enough that squirting it off did the trick. And I know a sample size of exactly 1 isn't very useful for most things. But if somebody else wants to try experiments into treating BJD, maybe cold water will help? Cold /does/ slow microorganisms down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back