Treating Internal Parasites of Picky Fish

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tricks for treating internal parasites of picky eaters such as Potter's Angels or anything else that prefers to graze on LR rather than eat out of the water column or off nori clips?

I was planning to prophylactically treat with Metroplex + Focus but my Potter's definitely won't eat it. Not while in QT like it is now. It is currently in it's first round of PraziPro, planning to do Copper Power afterwards. Maybe this combo is sufficient for prophylactic treatment?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tricks for treating internal parasites of picky eaters such as Potter's Angels or anything else that prefers to graze on LR rather than eat out of the water column or off nori clips?

I was planning to prophylactically treat with Metroplex + Focus but my Potter's definitely won't eat it. Not while in QT like it is now. It is currently in it's first round of PraziPro, planning to do Copper Power afterwards. Maybe this combo is sufficient for prophylactic treatment?
Could always food soak general cure once he decides to eat. Could start with live brine shrimp, than mix in frozen with live brine. Then transition this fish to frozen brine & medicate it with general cure/focus & some garlic Gaurd or Selcon added to it.

Something that worked for me with my leopard wrasses.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is very bitter, and focus doesn’t cover the taste very well. Many fish will try it once and be done.
Remember, marine fish drink water to maintain proper osmotic balance. If you dose the water with a med at the proper dose, they ingest it that way.
I posted a medicated food article here that explains why soaking food in medication almost never achieves a proper dose.
Jay

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is very bitter, and focus doesn’t cover the taste very well. Many fish will try it once and be done.
Remember, marine fish drink water to maintain proper osmotic balance. If you dose the water with a med at the proper dose, they ingest it that way.
I posted a medicated food article here that explains why soaking food in medication almost never achieves a proper dose.
Jay
I’m surprised by this. Why is there so many articles and videos about food soaking with general cure with recommend doses. 1 tablespoon food, 1/8 teaspoon general cure, 1/8 teaspoon focus etc.

Is it all just hear say?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure in the water column, it contains both metronidazole and praziquantel, so you can even forego the prazi pro treatment. This is how I treat all my predators which eat live food.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised by this. Why is there so many articles and videos about food soaking with general cure with recommend doses. 1 tablespoon food, 1/8 teaspoon general cure, 1/8 teaspoon focus etc.

Is it all just hear say?
It isn't hearsay as much as the alternative is too much work, so people tend to go the easy route (grin). Have you read the article I posted? it explains the dosing issue with soaking food in medication:

I will say this - there are some fish treatment things on Reef2Reef that are accepted as dogma, but are not viewed that way elsewhere. Specifically I've seen certain things posted over and over again: soaking food in medications, adding Epsom salts to water, laying fallow for 76 days and a few others. I'm going to work on revising the sticky notes, but it is difficult to find the time.

Jay

OP
OP
H

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thank you all for the replies! Learning a ton here. Ok I will pick up some general cure and go from there.

OP
OP
H

humuhumu787

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, since I've already done the first dose of Prazipro for my QT, how should I go about using general cure? Complete the second dose, wait a couple weeks then general cure? Then copper power to follow up?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose with GC at the time you would have dosed with second dose of Prazipro, they both are about 2 ppm praziquantel.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back