Treating internal parasites/worms in a display tank - in europe.

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect my fish may have worms. At first, my female clown became quite pale and was lethargic for a couple of days. It still hasnt quite regained its color, but is back to normal in its behaviour and just started spawning again. However, my tailspot blenny now seems to be a little under the weather, not very active, but does eat a little when I feed. I noticed it has had white stringy poop and so im starting to think some of the fish have worms or similar.

There are a couple of problems though, i recently shut down my QT tank, and I also think Ill have a super tough time catching most of the fish. Because of that, Id like to treat in the display tank, but that dictates that the medication is reef safe.
Secondly, metroplex and seachem focus are not available in EU as per regulations, so Im quite limited in my choices of medication...

I am a medical doctor though, and thus i can easily procure some metronidazole in tablet form. Ive been wondering if i could perhaps grind it to powder, and mix it with some mysis or other food, and then use agar or gelatin to bind it together before i feed it to the fish. Im not quite sure how much metronidazole to use in that case though? Perhaps you have an idea, @Humblefish ? :)

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same problem about 1.5 years ago. My research then came to the conclusion that there is not a 100% reef safe product in Europe available:( The closest to it was Sera Tremazol - which once again isn’t reef safe, but has the same medication as prazipro.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's @Humblefish 's treatment plan on using Metro:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link from Hikari's site on how to bind meds. Hope this helps a bit:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back