Treating / Ramp up with copper power

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to proactively treat my QT tank with copper power soon. Might be a dumb question, but copper power won't leave the tank unless I do a WC right? Also, I have a flasher wrasse, I read that the ramp up to the therapeutic level should take 5+ days. Should I just divide the amount I need to reach the level over 5 days? So if I needed ~10ml of copper power for my tank, just dose 2ml everyday?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, copper won't leave the tank via evaporation. Only if you remove water.

Yes divide your total dosage up into daily amounts. Then I personally split that into am/pm doses.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, copper won't leave the tank via evaporation. Only if you remove water.

Yes divide your total dosage up into daily amounts. Then I personally split that into am/pm doses.

just read your copper power ratio post. Thank you!

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I just put in 1ml of copper power, API test came up with 0. in a 9gal AIO with 8ish gallons of actual water volume. any idea why?

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump- theres 2ml of copper power in there which should be registering .5ppm on the API test kit...but so far my test kit detects nothing. test kit works, i tried it by pouring copper power into the tube and adding a bit of water. very brown result

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure that there isn't anything that can absorb copper in the system. Rock, sand, certain mechanical filtration media.
@HotRocks I just put in 1ml of copper power, API test came up with 0. in a 9gal AIO with 8ish gallons of actual water volume. any idea why?
What test kit are you using?

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure that there isn't anything that can absorb copper in the system. Rock, sand, certain mechanical filtration media.

What test kit are you using?

I'm using the API test kit. And ah...there is a bit of sand in the tank. its a 9 gallon tank, probably has less than 1/3lb of sand lol. do I need to take that out? also, what type of mechanical filtration media can absorb copper?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the API test kit. And ah...there is a bit of sand in the tank. its a 9 gallon tank, probably has less than 1/3lb of sand lol. do I need to take that out? also, what type of mechanical filtration media can absorb copper?
I can't remember exactly, I know @HotRocks and @4FordFamily found something that absorbed the copper in their system. I would take the sand out unless you're treating a wrasse or fish that needs it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Hanna HR Copper checker.

Instead of dosing the whole thing over 5 days, you can immediately dose to 1.0, and then slowly bring that up to 2.0.

Another media that will aggressively absorb copper (and other metals) is GFO.

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the API test kit was compatible with copper power? would i just need to dose more until the copper actually showed up? I'm at 2ml out of 10ml total of copper power that i need to reach

The API kit is very inaccurate. Would be very hard to detect that low of a level with the kit.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing with poly fiber/poly will remove copper.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back