Treating With Vitamin C

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vit. c (same stuff as puffer recommended) and have been doing so very consistenly for the last 3 months or so.

The reactions have been really good to start with, the bleached zoas are getting a green tint, i also feel like the reproduction rate has increased as well. also my montis and lobo are getting to be very bright and i am certain vit c is responsible for it.

however lately i have had some starting to melt. i have been dosing iodide as well after my AoG's started melting. and since then i have had like 4-5 frags melt on me. and also from some mini colonies, they would start to close and some would start to die, but not the whole colony. i am not sure if this is related to vit c dosing. but i havent done anything else to my tank. i have looked for nudis, bugs, asternia etc. but havent spotted one. while some are doing this, the others are getting nicely colored still. any similar results, or anyone have ideas as to why this is happening?

and i have a more important question that has been in my mind for some time now.. i had added a refigium around the same time i started dosing vit. c, mostly deep sand and i had added chaeto initially and some red macro algae and a few mangroves. (i am trying to dose enough magnesium to keep the levels around NSW) even though the mangroves and especially red macro is growing like crazy. the chaeto has not grown at all which is really really suprising, but i had gazed over someone in a forum (dont think it was here, i searched but couldnt find it anywhere) that had said the vit c is hurting chaeto or impeding its growth. is this true? anyone have experience with vit c and chaeto?

Couldnt be any further from the truth....vit C shouldnt impact chaeto negatively!! I remember when i first started my fuge and it took a few weeks for it to start growing like mad....i thought i was doing something wrong but i let it be and gave the chaeto a fews extra hours of light and all of a sudden the growth went crazy and hasnt slowed since!! I have been dosing Vit C with mysis everyday for at least a year now!

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!! Hey! PufferPink!!! Just to let you know I have started Vitamin C and I am glad I did. I have been using for about a month now and I have noticed corals growing and sps begingin to color up. Eveything in my tank looks better and healthier! I did take a picture of my Miami Hurrican before I started and I will try to get that posted. Thanks for the information about getting started.

I got my stuff from I herb and am up to 3/4 tsp twice a day. I only had one episode of increased spin off in my skimmer. I am very happy with the results I have been seeing and will continue to vitamin c. Debbie

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldnt be any further from the truth....vit C shouldnt impact chaeto negatively!! I remember when i first started my fuge and it took a few weeks for it to start growing like mad....i thought i was doing something wrong but i let it be and gave the chaeto a fews extra hours of light and all of a sudden the growth went crazy and hasnt slowed since!! I have been dosing Vit C with mysis everyday for at least a year now!

I will try to play around with my light schedule for the fuge, but i don't think that's it... i had it on for 24 hrs at the start, but has been on a reverse 12 hr schedule. (open to suggestions regarding this matter).

are you doing mysis to your fuge? or do you have chaeto in your display?

other than that i've been very happy with vit. C; i have been advocating the use here in my country, and been working with a chemist friend to come up with a good replacement. (it is getting expensive using iherb overseas)

just can't understand the random downfall of some of my zoas. perhaps its related to something else. i was really bummed after losing my bambams recently, especially since i can't find those anywhere within 3,000,000 miles :p

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i think 24 hrs is a little overkill imho....i am closer to a 12 hr reverse as well.

I dont put anything in my fuge except dosing or water....do you have any pods in your chaeto?? i noticed a larger growth once i had a pod explosion!

The only difference i see is that i use a diluted vitamin C as opposed to the iherb stuff....i went to buy frags from macawmagic (keith on here) and he had a pretty full bottle that he offered me for free....he said that it was ok for a while and then all of a sudden he had some melting problems and never tried it again....that was enough for me to stick with my diluted verison

http://www.thereeftank.com/compare-...tics-vitamarin-c-vitamin-c-supplement-250-ml/

It been great for me....but i also have a smaller tank and therefore anything diluted would be better....maybe you can talk to macawmagic but i am 99% sure it was that same vit C.

Hope this helps some.

I will try to play around with my light schedule for the fuge, but i don't think that's it... i had it on for 24 hrs at the start, but has been on a reverse 12 hr schedule. (open to suggestions regarding this matter).

are you doing mysis to your fuge? or do you have chaeto in your display?

other than that i've been very happy with vit. C; i have been advocating the use here in my country, and been working with a chemist friend to come up with a good replacement. (it is getting expensive using iherb overseas)

just can't understand the random downfall of some of my zoas. perhaps its related to something else. i was really bummed after losing my bambams recently, especially since i can't find those anywhere within 3,000,000 miles :p

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference i see is that i use a diluted vitamin C as opposed to the iherb stuff....i went to buy frags from macawmagic (keith on here) and he had a pretty full bottle that he offered me for free....he said that it was ok for a while and then all of a sudden he had some melting problems and never tried it again....that was enough for me to stick with my diluted verison

wow that's crazy. first time i'm hearing it. i'll try to get in touch with keith. thank you.
did anyone else experience similar results? i know puffer is using it and as far as i know she didn't have any trouble...

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's crazy. first time i'm hearing it. i'll try to get in touch with keith. thank you.
did anyone else experience similar results? i know puffer is using it and as far as i know she didn't have any trouble...

Yeah i am not trying to stir trouble....but rather just be aware. Somethings work for some and not for others....maybe we should have keith confirm what exactly was his problem

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
memorisa,
i dose vodka and vit c (sodium ascorbate) now. I had been dosing vodka by itself for months and there came a point where I couldn't grow macro in my fuge any more so I just gave up. Vit c also serves the same purpose as vodka in regards to carbon dosing. I have not had any macro in almost 7 or 8 months.

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hadn't been dosing vodka or sugar... i had carbon in a tlf phosban reactor but i had discontinued that. also the macro is growing like crazy, its the chaeto that doesn't show improvement... and i am pretty sure i have some pod population growing in there. (but i do also have a sea horse in the fuge)

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have to say id I truly think Vit C helps. I got a zoa frag of Caribbean Blue zoas. There where four polyps. Since day one only one of the four opened. After about 2 weeks of having them none of them opened. Two weeks of dosing 1000 MG i a 28 gallon, three of them are opening slowly. I have never heard of zoa taking a month to acclimate before they open. I truly think the Vit C helps ALOT!

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I missed those posts about cheato growth. VC removes nitrate/phosphate & anything that cheato might use up to survive & grow. Hence, it's not necessary anymore. I had a huge wad of cheato & it's entirely gone.

nikecivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing liquid Vitamin C

I started dosing Vitamin C (brightwell) and just wondering if everyone here is using the powder form from Iherb. I am currently using a BM doser and its much easier for me to dose it in a liquid form.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not be able to dose nearly enough with the Brightwell's product as suggested in my dosing chart, for good results. VC must be dosed 2x/day, as it looses it's potency in water, within 8 hours, it can not be dripped.

nikecivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the question is I can only dose via powder to make any useful dosing. What if I dose with my BM doser and set it to i.e. 24 cycles of dosing of a liquid form. Can I use the VC from Iherb and make it into a liquid form?

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for ya Puffer.....I started dosing C to my 120 mixed reef tank just before Christmas and was going along fine. I was real strict about checking all my levels and nothing really changed, so I got slack. lol I am dosing the stuff you recommended from iherb. I added a bubble tip a couple weeks ago and after a week or so it suddenly went down hill fast. shriveled up and I thought it would die. I started testing my levels and found my dkh at 17!( I am not sure this has anything to do with the nem acting weird it is just how I discovered my high dkh problem ) I am sure it is coming from the C. I have been mixing 1 1/2 heaping teaspoons 2x daily. I mix it in approx 1L of RO water before adding to sump. I mixed up a batch and checked the dkh of the mixture....I quit adding drops at 30 dkh and it was no where near changing colors yet. I just bought a years worth of alk. "booster" from bulk reef. I was adding 1 pump every other day to keep level around 9dkh. I hate to have to buy something completly different to bring it back down.....
Anyone else experience this? If so what do you use to bring your alk down. I can't imagine a dkh that high would be nothing but bad for corals.....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back