Treatment for Engineer Goby

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add the gobies are over 12” now and pretty thick so they don’t really fit under the rock work or in burrows anymore
Engineers are babies. Mine was 18” when he passed last year and was bossed around by a 3.5” damsel.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineers are babies. Mine was 18” when he passed last year and was bossed around by a 3.5” damsel.

Ahhh well damsels are a$$holes lol at least all the ones we ever had were so we don’t keep them anymore. Hopefully I can nurse this guy back to health. They get a ton of attention from visitors and we think they’re pretty cool too, it’s mate is pretty sad without him in the tank, might have to remove him as well just so they can be together while he heals.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh well damsels are a$$holes lol at least all the ones we ever had were so we don’t keep them anymore. Hopefully I can nurse this guy back to health. They get a ton of attention from visitors and we think they’re pretty cool too, it’s mate is pretty sad without him in the tank, might have to remove him as well just so they can be together while he heals.
Yeah most are, but mine was cool. He co-habitated fhe burrow with my engineer. He was just the boss of when they came and went lol. My point though was that they won’t really defend themselves.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I catch the Idol biting on the other EG’s tail so I took him out and put him in QT with his buddy so now I have a dilemma. We obviously can’t put these guys back in the 180. The only other tank we have is a 60 gallon FOWLR but already have two juvenile EG’s in it. Do we put them in the 180 when the bigger EG’s are well enough and can be moved to the 60? I hate to put them in the smaller tank but we have grown attached to them and hate to rehome them because the MI is being a bully :( I know eventually the MI will repeat the behavior with the smaller gobies when they get older, providing he lives that long. I know they don’t live long usually but he seems pretty healthy and fat to me so who knows lol

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I catch the Idol biting on the other EG’s tail so I took him out and put him in QT with his buddy so now I have a dilemma. We obviously can’t put these guys back in the 180. The only other tank we have is a 60 gallon FOWLR but already have two juvenile EG’s in it. Do we put them in the 180 when the bigger EG’s are well enough and can be moved to the 60? I hate to put them in the smaller tank but we have grown attached to them and hate to rehome them because the MI is being a bully :( I know eventually the MI will repeat the behavior with the smaller gobies when they get older, providing he lives that long. I know they don’t live long usually but he seems pretty healthy and fat to me so who knows lol
Could you not put all 4 in the 60? They live in colonies they should be on together once they’re big enough no one can eat anyone else.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you not put all 4 in the 60? They live in colonies they should be on together once they’re big enough no one can eat anyone else.

I mean, I could, but I know they can grow to 24” and figured 4 of those in a 60 gallon would be a bit crowded...of course that’s providing they all live that long. The one with the bit up tail doesn’t look good :( I’m treating them both with antibiotics but haven’t seen them eat anything at all :(

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I could, but I know they can grow to 24” and figured 4 of those in a 60 gallon would be a bit crowded...of course that’s providing they all live that long. The one with the bit up tail doesn’t look good :( I’m treating them both with antibiotics but haven’t seen them eat anything at all :(
Mine lived 12 years so they can live a while

Back