Trick to Capture Dinoflagellates in Tank w/ photos

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During a lengthy battle with dinos I was blowing off my corals daily with a turkey baster. I wanted a way to collect the dinos I blew off. Because the dinos were so sticky they often found a new home before going down the overflow to my filter sock. I found that hanging a filter sock in a high flow area of the display tank, gave the dinos something they really liked to stick to as I was blowing them off. I would point my powerhead towards the filter sock and then remove it in a few hours or the next morning.

While this did not alone cure my dino problem, it was part of my effort, which including raising nutrients, that made them go away eventually. Thought I would share.

Dinos love sticking the the old filter socks that are more fuzzy.
DSC00950.JPG
What I was dealing with
P_20180901_155401.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing and a Awesome trick! I’ll have to keep this in mind if the day comes I have to battle this.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back