Tricks for algae on glass

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the name of this type of algae, it grows on the glass in flat tiny specks. Bright green color, and VERY stubborn to rub off. It doesn't brush right off with my mag float like the dusty-type algae. Are there any tricks to removing it other than a scrubber and elbow grease? I'm worried I'm going to end up scratching the tank with how hard I have to scrub to get it off. Here's some pics. Hard to focus on it since it's on the glass and tiny.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459465749.286565.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1459465762.287349.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporate a quick pass with my magnet cleaner with my daily feeding/maintenance routine. Takes only a couple minutes (on a 140) and I never have to use a razor blade on my glass anymore.

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporate a quick pass with my magnet cleaner with my daily feeding/maintenance routine. Takes only a couple minutes (on a 140) and I never have to use a razor blade on my glass anymore.

Yeah I got a tad lazy on the mag float.....however I always got a nice bloom of copepods whenever I let a little of the dusty type algae grow on the glass so I did have a slight reason behind my laziness. Prob better to just keep up with the cleaning though....

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze magnet cleaner. It works great on that tough stuff even with the plastic blade. I used to tackle that with a straight razor, but having to put my arm in the tank to clean it was a pain so I didn't do it nearly as often as I should.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Mag Float and when doing a water change, I use a Mr. Clean magic eraser to get the tough stuff. It works great.

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some small spots, scrapping it with your fingernail works. Obviously I wouldn't want to scrape an entire tank, but a a couple spots is easy. Razor blade works great, just take it slow and careful to avoid scatching the glass.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a flipper, but the plastic blade wore out quick. I filet a piece of magic eraser and put on it on the wet side of my flipper cleaner. It works better than the stock pad.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you glue the magic eraser to the flipper?
I have had mine for a while. It was in my acrylic tank then now glass tank. I love how fast it removes the coral line algae. I was giving up on removing that on my acrylic tank until I found the flipper. I am more impressed with the flipper on glass tanks than in acrylic tanks btw.

I also have a flipper, but the plastic blade wore out quick. I filet a piece of magic eraser and put on it on the wet side of my flipper cleaner. It works better than the stock pad.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not glue it. I just place it on there and the magnets hold it. You have to take it more easy so you do not pull it off. It works well. If you use the magic eraser with a hand scrub it cleans so well you will say where as this been. My tank is deep so giving it a hand job is not so easy. haha

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mr. Clean magic eraser doesn't have chemicals in it to worry about?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you opt for using the razor blade, I would suggest using only brand new single edged blades. You can scratch your glass if the blade has even the slightest bit of damage to the edge. And, of course, be very careful with the blade around the silicone on the inside of the tank.

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your tank may be acrylic. If it is, DEFINITELY do not use a razor blade!! It will scratch.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back