Tricks for securing rocks in place.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of a quandary. I have all my rocks loosely stacked for the most part. Any ideas for securing already in-tank live rock would be appreciated. Here’s what it looks like
IMG_8084.jpeg
IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
other than applying quite a lot of epoxy, i would suggest playing “tetris” with your rock work. none of my rock work is glued. the only thing that gets toppled over is my maxima clam. it’s on a small flat rubble rock so it gets toppled over by my bigger hermit crabs

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think all those healthy corals are really holding your rockwork back. . . getting rid of most of those is probably the first step!

But for real I am not understanding the issue? Do you have rocks that are moving/getting moved around, or are you looking to add new rocks?

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know people have used this

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think all those healthy corals are really holding your rockwork back. . . getting rid of most of those is probably the first step!

But for real I am not understanding the issue? Do you have rocks that are moving/getting moved around, or are you looking to add new rocks?
Both. I want to secure the ones on the top right as they’re pretty loosey goosey and have been bonked over by my urchins that presently are in the rear AIO fuge section. And I’m trying to win a box of dry rock in a contest. So if anyone has an idea to get the topmost section secured without gluing it to the high heavens…

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If taking the rocks out and gluing them is not an options. . . doesn't look like it is. . . I think a coral epoxy is probably the best bet. . . you could make some, lift the rock slightly, put the epoxy in between where the rocks touch to make a sort of rock epoxy sandwich, then press them together and do you best to cram and smear the epoxy so it is attached to both rocks. . .

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could try cutting small pieces of acrylic rods and glue into the holes in the rock to connect. It would offer more security without having to glue so much.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If taking the rocks out and gluing them is not an options. . . doesn't look like it is. . . I think a coral epoxy is probably the best bet. . . you could make some, lift the rock slightly, put the epoxy in between where the rocks touch to make a sort of rock epoxy sandwich, then press them together and do you best to cram and smear the epoxy so it is attached to both rocks. . .
Sounds pretty good. All I really need to do is secure some of the uppermost pieces that tend to be smaller so as to prevent tip overs. And this would cover that.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try cutting small pieces of acrylic rods and glue into the holes in the rock to connect. It would offer more security without having to glue so much.
I actually thought of something similar but never di implement it. The idea was to glue to frag plugs together and the drill holes for each side in the rock. But longer rods probably would work better.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually thought of something similar but never di implement it. The idea was to glue to frag plugs together and the drill holes for each side in the rock. But longer rods probably would work better.
I never thought about frag plugs. I would definitely not rule that out if you have a larger hole in the rock.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of Maxspect coral epoxy. it is a silicone based epoxy (pinkish) that might be easy enough to force into some cracks to shore up those rocks. Also at family dollar in the craft section they have plastic spatula’s for oil/acrylics that I use for aquascaping.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some epoxy and made little balls and put it in the cracks where the rocks met and formed it to them. Most of my rocks are not glued or epoxy though. I have eels and they tunnel all the time and never collapse rocks

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stack them until they fit, my aqascape actually collapsed twice while finishing up.. coral glue may hold to an extent, also encrusting LPS will form a strong skeleton if given enough time

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe this . Drill and either use the frag plug idea or the acrylic rod and use some reef epoxy putty(which I have half a tube of) at the ends or stuff the holes with some.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back